Good pedal to put in front of a Mesa to overdrive it?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bowery969

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
I've got a Studio Caliber DC-2.

Currently my only OD pedal is a Fulltone GT-500. Using that on top of my gain channel doesn't do much to give it an overdriven sound. (in fact, it actually clips it a little).

Does anyone have a suggestion for a good overdrive pedal to put in front of a Mesa?

That’s like asking what brand chocolate ice cream is best LOL.

Can’t go wrong with a Tube Screamer IMO.

I’m suprised the GT-500’s boost side is not working for you, drive down low and level up high. You don’t want to add any substantial drive, just boost the volume going into the amp.

Dom

I’m suprised the GT-500’s boost side is not working for you, drive down low and level up high. You don’t want to add any substantial drive, just boost the volume going into the amp.

Dom
Thanks, I'll tweak it.

And possibly get a TS9.
A bit pricey, but a Mesa Grid Slammer would be worth checking out.
Excellent, I'll check that out.

Currently my only OD pedal is a Fulltone GT-500. Using that on top of my gain channel doesn't do much to give it an overdriven sound. (in fact, it actually clips it a little).

Does anyone have a suggestion for a good overdrive pedal to put in front of a Mesa?
I love my soul food and my OCD. Both excellent pedals. In fact I've been using the OCD for about 15 years now, although the soul food is just as good, but in a different way. Not as much gain but I really love the tone.

It should have a decent level of overdrive on the lead channel. If it does not it may be time for a tube change and if that does not fix it maybe take it in for servicing.

I tried and kept a Laney Tonny Iommi boost and it rocks! It has an EQ that can be turned on or off. Plumes from Earthquaker Devices is also very versatile in front of the amp.
Let us know your pick!
Cheers

Dom

I toyed with the GT-500 and got decent results.

A few days ago I took ownership of an J Rockett Archer Overdrive.

My god. I love this pedal. It fits my DC-2 so nicely.

Latest posts

Back