Who is Still Gigging Their Vintage Mark Series Amps?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My MarkIIB has been my #1 stage amp for more than 40 years. It's been Simul Classed.
IMG_1421 (2).JPG

Not for when I gig country bands,but when I gig 80s metal stuff or shred bands,I love running my iic+, red & blue stripe colis in stereo live.

Got the Mark IIA out last night. Used a thd Hot Plate to tame it and still let let output section work. Also added a JHS reverb pedal to my board (mine is a plain vanilla Super Sixty).

I am using dirt pedals more these days no matter which amp I’m using. The pot on the lead channel on the MKIIA is touchy and hard to balance and I have chosen not to rewire from stock. Mike B added a cap last for more lead gain last year when he cleaned it up, may take it out.

Has anyone used a neo speaker in an older Mark? The MS12 sounds good, could do with less weight.

I have been using the MKIIA live more and more. I have gone to using dirt pedals instead of the lead channel. No issues setting levels between dirt, clean and more dirt. I am using a TC Spark at the end of the pedal board chain for lead boosts. Helps to not bring the gain too high for both dirt and boost to avoid preamp compression, unless that is what you want.

Last night, I used a LovePedal Red Moon Tchula and got awesome sounds. I had to turn down presence and treble since this pedal boosts highs. The Tele had some good harmonics and was “juicy” with the left side on, when the right side was engaged, great grind and sustain.

These amps are so flexible, just not like the multi channel modern Boogies.

There is an RCA jack on the bottom of my MKIIA chassis for a Gain Boost footswitch. Haven’t used it in years, my try it again.

This amp has become my regular gigging amp the past few months, using a THD Hot Plate to tame it. Pulled down treble and brightness with the Tele, also using a Black Mamba Tchula always on. I run the Gain around 6 and now pedals not only sound good, everything stops sounding similar. With high gain and then healthy lead drive, guitars don’t sound very different.

Of course, high gain and high lead drive gives a great sound.

After many years of having my IIC+ sitting in the studio, finally have rejoined the gigging club with it. Had always been using the other Mesas live mostly because they could be easily replaced if they disappeared. The others also seemed a bit more versatile (or so I thought) with individual dual chans and tone stacks, not the cascading gain stages. But finally got the itch to try it live again and man oh man this is such a different experience this time around. It certainly helps that I've got a bit more of a handle on the signal chain and 4CM tweaking, etc. tweaked in patches, etc. There are a few needed workarounds but jeez this amp is such a beast, it needs to be played. :D

Latest posts

Back