Who inspired you to play a boogie?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I owned Fender, Marshall, and various other amps for over 11 years before I finally discovered what Boogie was all about. I was inspired by Carlos Santana, I never cared much for the Recto tones but Santana's playing brought me to the Mark series and I have been happy ever since. I only have one non-Boogie amp left, a pristine 73 Deluxe Reverb that was given to me by my grandfather. Mesa Boogie has truly changed the way I look at guitar playing, I now view the amps themselves as instruments, which is something I never did before. Thank you Randall Smith, and thank you Carlos Santana!

lesterpaul said:
GIG4FUN said:
hyjackin' hi jinx
I want to move to Alabama and hang with the mafia...
...hurry,Gig4,space is limited...the first arrivals will all be awarded with one of these after initiation into the NAMM(warning...small animals MAY be harmed...)

017-2.jpg

I've got the traps already set for my small animals...
Send me an addy and Paypal is on the way for two T-shirts.
YOU guys rock

Adam Jones of Tool... His live rig consists of a Marshall, Diezel, and a Boogie. I always liked his tone and the philosophy behind it and got into Boogie that way. I had tried my friends Marshalls along the way, even the famed JCM800 was crap, so I bought my first Boogie as soon as I had some cash.

For me I saw Jimmy Thackery and the Assasins play a show in a local club and he had the best freaking tone I have ever heard. Telecaster through Boogie--probably a Mark II. I knew then I had to have one, but didn't get one until years later (I have a killer Mark III blue stripe 60W combo). Had to get a Telecaster as well.

I also was influenced by Pete Townshend who occasionally used Mesa's... you can see them in the rehearsal videos in The Kids Are Alright (Barbara Ann with Keith Moon on vocals). He probably used them in the studio because I think in those years Hiwatt's were his stage amps.

first inspiration was Offspring's smash album - those heavy rhytm tones are one of best i've ever heard. i still subconsciously look for that tone (even though i play totally different kind of music), i believe they played mark IV on that record :)

then i heard weezer - blue album. i was immediately hooked on that extremely fat, heavy distorted yet clear rhytm tone. when i've read that they used exclusively mark I for recording it i bought older mk I reissue almost instantly.

now i run barebone mark IIC+ and early mark IRI combos paired in stereo and i can't imagine going on stage without these :)

while Im sure all the john petrucci/lamb of god/andy timmons/santana boogie guys will disown you for mentioning weezer and the offspring i must say they both have some pretty unique tones and i am a fan of all of the above (save for lamb of god but ill get there one day im sure)

i really dig Petrucci's tone (especially on 6 digrees of inner turbulance), same for Andy Timmons (whatever he plays, lonestar or laney - he sounds awesome through both) and others :) but sound of these records (offspring & weezer) just struck me :) i think you can get nice lead tone from almost any usable tube amp, but only boogie is capable of these sick rhytm tones :) i also have to mention NOFX - heavy petting zoo. there are some sick rhytm tones too !

Actually, the first time I ever was impressed by tone specifically was when I found the music video for Weezer's "Buddy Holly" on my Windows 95 cd long ago. (I was a metal kid at the time but still liked the song.)

The tone for that song came from an old Mark head.
The tone was so wet, juicy, spongy, etc, etc, etc...

So my gateway to tone appreciation was hearing a Boogie...that's my story.

Altus Lee of exodusattack.com for now

and the old Metallica back in 1988 when I got my Mk3

Hartley Peavey, by making his Triple XXX combo METAL enough to trade up for a re-issue Boogie Mark 1! Seriously, some Iron Maiden fan needed a METAL amp! I got a nice LOUD clean sounding amp with Gain on tap and I only needed to swap in some tubes and fiddle with the tone stack. I like Thrash metal, now all I need is an EQ in the loop, I think Danelectro makes a nice one for 30-40 USD. What EQ do you all use for your Mark 1s?

and then a satchurator in a while

Larry Carlton's 335 and Boogie tone inspired me back in the day.

That being said, I love Weezer! Those 'stadium pop' tones are monster and suit their material so well.

Both ends of the spectrum of my playing.

Rolling Stones 1981 tour Mark IIB and ron woods mark iii blue stripe on his solo albums

Don't we all, but that album was released in 1971 so I don't think Boogies were around? It was probably an overdriven Fender Champ or Princeton.

carlosasi said:
Don't we all, but that album was released in 1971 so I don't think Boogies were around? It was probably an overdriven Fender Champ or Princeton.
The prototype "Boogie" was made in 1969. I think the Stones (Mick Taylor) used a Mark I on Sticky Fingers. It sure sounds like a Mark I on the "Can't You Hear Me Knocking" guitar solo.

It was 1978.
Jamming at a friend's farmhouse in the country outside of Milwaukee, Wi.

A new guitar player from Madison showed up. He had a Mk I combo.
I was pretty happy with my Ampeg VT40 until that day. :x

It would be ten years before I would acquire my first Mesa; my Cal 22+.
I still have that amp and 3 other Mesas. Never looked back. :D

dodger916 said:
carlosasi said:
The prototype "Boogie" was made in 1969. I think the Stones (Mick Taylor) used a Mark I on Sticky Fingers. It sure sounds like a Mark I on the "Can't You Hear Me Knocking" guitar solo.

What? I didn't know that! I'm going to listen to that album right now.

Back from listening wow that ringing and chimmeyness of those notes. Clear and bell like with a little hair on it. Perfect

Brad Gillis and Danny Chauncey. Took me awhile to figure out that much of their sound was in their hands as well as the amps, but I figured I'd have to settle for the amp. :D

Oz Fox - Stryper

...and that music store employee about 15 years ago who cranked up that small boogie combo in the amp room that made me say "dang, that sounds awesome...one day I'm gonna buy one of those".

Back