Which amp sounds like a Mark and Recto mixed?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevinnguyen760

Reaction score
Anyone know if there is an amp that exists that has the roar and oomph of a Recto and clarity of a Mark? I own both a Mark IV and a Dual Rect. Or are there any pedals that I can use with the Recto to achieve the clarity of the Mark? Thank you.

try going on the Recto's Modern channel, bold, diodes. Put bass at 7-8 o'clock, mids a little bit higher but still below 9 o'clock, treble at 1:00. start with the gain just below noon and the presence at noon. leave the mids and bass where they are and tune things with the treble, presence, and gain.if it sounds thin and bright mess with the presence first, if that doesn't work add bass in tiny increments.

master at least 9:30 but ideally you want to turn it up until you stop hearing a volume increase (this'll probably be right around noon) and then turn it back one "hour."

make sure the loop is not engaged.

If you have a cleanish boost with some kind of tone stack (I like the Xotic RC Boost) use it to nudge the amp and cut some of the bass coming from your guitar.

Rectos can do this, it just takes some tweaking. And volume helps.

Old post, but decided to answer the question regarding Mesa related amps I feel is like a combination of the Mark and Recto (at least how it sounds to me). What I have: Mark V 90, JP2C, MWDR, Royal Atlantic, Triple Crown and Badlander.

What I found interesting: The Badlander carries the tone and characteristic of both. Clean is nice, push the gain up and it has a tweed like sound. Crunch is all Rectifier grunt and crush is the combination. Plenty of compression for leads. I felt the Badlander (loaded with the EL34) had the best overall sound, not fizzy at all. It has a little more midrange vibe to it so not as scooped as a Dual Rectifier. Actually it is quite similar to the JP2C and the MWDR in many respects. Some may not like the Badlander, to me it is one of the Best Mesa creations in current production. I like the other amps too, however, the Badlander has won me over. Very articulate. Depends where you set the gain for articulation vs all out fury.

That is my 2 cents worth of opinion.

The other amp that comes close but needs some different tubes to achieve the sound is the Royal Atlantic RA-100. That is one overlooked amp worthy of trying out. I was running two of those in stereo with a stereo 10 band GEQ which takes that to another level. I do not need the GEQ for the Badlanders. Even though one is a combo amp, they both sound the same. Now I am hooked on the Badlander so that is my new poison. I kept the one Royal Atlantic in the mix which blends quite well with the two Badlanders. Very articulate with good note definition running the crush voice on both BLs with a rolled back gain. Palm muted technique just sounds great. I should get out the 7 string and see how it sounds with this rig. I have run the BL with 7 string guitar before and it was great. Awesome with the Royal setup I had going before the 2nd BL came into play. Never cared for extended range guitars with the MWDR as it just got muddy. I did have the JP2C out in the center but liked the Royal more as it was not fizzy. Even at 50W setting on all three amps, this rig sound huge. 100W more preferred but more than I need. Had to reduce the cabs for the BL to 212 as the 412 was way too much for the small room.

Attachments

• 20191005_164332.jpg
    20191005_164332.jpg
    302 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230312_082952.jpg
    20230312_082952.jpg
    484 KB · Views: 0
Old post, but decided to answer the question regarding Mesa related amps I feel is like a combination of the Mark and Recto (at least how it sounds to me). What I have: Mark V 90, JP2C, MWDR, Royal Atlantic, Triple Crown and Badlander.

What I found interesting: The Badlander carries the tone and characteristic of both. Clean is nice, push the gain up and it has a tweed like sound. Crunch is all Rectifier grunt and crush is the combination. Plenty of compression for leads. I felt the Badlander (loaded with the EL34) had the best overall sound, not fizzy at all. It has a little more midrange vibe to it so not as scooped as a Dual Rectifier. Actually it is quite similar to the JP2C and the MWDR in many respects. Some may not like the Badlander, to me it is one of the Best Mesa creations in current production. I like the other amps too, however, the Badlander has won me over. Very articulate. Depends where you set the gain for articulation vs all out fury.

That is my 2 cents worth of opinion.
Badlander is bad ***.

Anyone know if there is an amp that exists that has the roar and oomph of a Recto and clarity of a Mark? I own both a Mark IV and a Dual Rect. Or are there any pedals that I can use with the Recto to achieve the clarity of the Mark? Thank you.
I may have posted on a single amp solution for what Mesa amp sounds like the combination of a Mark and Dual Rect. Badlander is a fine example of that. However, I cannot think of a single pedal that would turn a Recto into a Mark. I think it is mostly to do with the tuning of the Recto itself and the cold clipper circuit and how the tone stack is driven. Sure, I love my MWDR as it has similar traits I like from the Roadster and JP2C. At least there is another option to the Badlander. However, if you have both Mark IV and a Dual Rect, why not get a Mesa Switch track and run one or the other or both at the same time. This is assuming you have a cabinet for each amp. That is one pedal I cannot do without since I generally desire to run more than one amp at a give time. Since the Recto has a different send level than the Mark IV, you may not be able to make use of stereo effects processors. That is one issue I came across when pairing up the MWDR with the JP2C, or other amps including the Roadster. MWDR will have dominance. Using separate effects in the FX loop will work for the better. The only way to get a uniform performance in a stereo effect is to have two of the same amps. Blending two amps together by running them in tandem is almost as rewarding as running two amps in stereo. The only issue that comes up from time to time is phasing. If there is no phase change with channels it would be no issue. I found the Badlander on crunch has a different phase than the crush so depending on what amp I am blending with it may or may not be in phase. Probably why I like the Royal Atlantic as a dry center channel with the two Badlanders since the hi gain is in phase with the crush voice, lo gain is in phase with the crunch and both amps clean will be in phase as well. Most muli-amp switchers have a phase switch if they have isolated outputs.

There is one other amp that supposedly has a blend of Mark and Recto that recently came out. Mark VII. Channel 2 has the Mark 7 mode which is described as a Recto like character but Markish flavor if that makes any sense. I have not tried one out yet but I understand that Guitar Center is now selling Mesa amps again.

To my ears the DC-5 has a bit of both Mark & Recto. Neither of the two, it's own beast for sure but there's some DNA from both amps for sure.

Back