What's your recording setup?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Old school stuff for me...

Alesis HD24
Mackie 1604? 16 track mixer
Kurzweil Rumor reverb
Presonus POS pre amp, compressor, EQ, dishwasher, limiter
Alesis Monitor 2 near field monitors
Tascam CD burner
Shure KSM77 mic for vocals
Shure SM 58 beta for other stuff
Roland drums for drums
Vox and Hiwatt and Mesa amps
Fender Tele and Gibon SG
Fender Pbass and some tube preamp thing

That's about it! :shock:

Here is a link so you can see how all this crappy manually operated stuff comes together > :evil:

https://soundcloud.com/zone47-200521363/sets/whatever-happened-to-the-good-old-days

The stuff in my signature, then:

SM57
Presonus Firestudio
MBP w/Logic Pro, Toontrack Superior Drummer 2.0, Getgood Drums Modern & Massive
Yamaha HS7's

Super simple:

Guitar --> Mark V25 (heavy) or Quilter 101 Mini Reverb (cleans) --> Grossman Isolation Cab w/ Mesa C90 Black Shadow --> Two SM57s --> Mackie Onyx Producer 2-2 USB connection --> PC --> Reaper DAW (w/ XLN Addictive Drums 2).

Notes:
- I also have an Arturia Keylab 40 Mk II keyboard that is straight into the DAW via USB.

- I am still experimenting with the SM57s. I've tried one SM57, two SM57s, an SM57 with an AKG D40 Drum mic, and also a Lewitt MTP 440 (alone and with the SM57 as well). No matter what mic combo I try, I seem to always gravitate back to the SM57s. Eventually, I will try some condenser mics. (EDIT - Currently using the classic SM57 and MD421 mic combo).

- I used to have a Torpedo Live for years, but it ended up sounding artificial to me and I fell into a black hole of trying endless amount of impulse responses that was 100% consuming my time personal time and I finally gave up. I would like to try the Mesa Cab Clone IR, however, because there are times the Grossman cab vibrates on certain tones or notes and it shakes the room too much for my liking. (EDIT: Tried the Cab Clone IR, didn't like it - sounded artificial to me).

Recording setup: Apple Mac "Trashcan" from 2013 with various mics and Apogee 8x8 Mark II interface. Great Rivers preamps.

Latest posts

Back