What's Your Favorite?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What's your favorite mesa boogie vintage amp?

• Mark I

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mark II

• Mark III

• Mark IV

• DC

• studio 22

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I tought I somehow did something wrong! I saw no other posts, but my own. But I had seen how many had voted. I assumed I had somehow FOUND a way to screw it up (I have that ability!). :roll:

Well since you asked...I already had several amps, and many of them very old and sweet sounding. But I had never had a Mesa. I always heard them with crushing gain, huge bottom end, etc. I assumed they were great for ultra metal rhythm. Being a Marshall player for 3+ decades, I was never drawn to Boogies. On a trip to a local music store for some strings, I noticed 2 Mesa's sitting side by side. A Mark III & Mark IV. I tried the IV and liked it a lot. All I could think about for days was "how can I get that little beast home without the wife kicking me out for buying another amp?" I went to go "visit" it several times during the week and it was then that I tried the Mark III. Instantly, I fell in love. My notes flew out of the amp with an emphasis on whatever my hand vibrato and picking asked for. I left the store sooo confused. Jimmy, the store owner let me come back over and over, for days, until I decided that the III was MY favorite amp. My wife got tired of hearing me talk about it. I took her and the kids back to the store to pick up a few things and play it ONE more time. She saw how small it was and said "this little amp is the one you've been talking about for weeks?...you can get it if you really want it. It won't take up any more room." Needless to say I came home with it. When playing out I usually plug it into a small 4x12 loaded with 2 GB12 & 2 V12's. It sounds HUGE. :D

oh man, that's a great story. I love nice stories. It's like those mark III and IV were like you're booty call, "I went to go "visit" it several times during the week and it was then that I tried the Mark III. Instantly, I fell in love" lol. great story! Anyone else got anything to contribute?! 8)

I like Mark II reasons why some don't like it.

It gives me just enough gain and break up, like a Fender w/ a pedal. (For me) Switching between the two channel lead / rhythm without too much trade-off or compromises.

Mark III, I would like a setting for lead, but switch to rhythm channel, I would have to dial the tone controls differently. Just could not get the amp to where I like both channels. And adding a second mode to the rhythm channel got even more confusing. Don't get me wrong, its a great amp its just that I like the simplicity of the Mark II.

The Mark IV is sensational amp, versatility in such a small package.

Personally if I need that ultra high gain, I would go for a Dual Rectifier.

I voted for the Mark 1 ... because I got mine in '78 (they were really not Mark 1's cause the Mark 2 had not come along yet). Anyway ... I've never needed another amp. Before the Boogie I had Ampeg, Fender & Marshall. 28 years! :D So I really don't know what the others will do but that's OK. This amp does everything I want ... in just about any room. I built the cabinet and put in the EV12 same year ... it has held up well too.

My chassis was signed by Randall Smith on 3/24/78. Cool huh?

Meet the family:

B_GTRFamily.jpg

Latest posts

Back