whats that sound?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j120strat

Reaction score
when i turn up the volume on the clean channel of my f-50 i get a rattle or a tinging sound when i hit low notes. is that normal. :?

yes thats what it is,,power tube rattle,,,,the inside filaments or something inside the tube is rattling when a certain frequency is hit. I bought and returned an f50 before purchasing my ROV and the same thing happened to me.
Its not that its an issue with the f50, I got the same when I brought home my ROV,,also new. You will notice that you really only can hear it while playing at a low sound level,,,turn that baby up and you wont hear it.
This isnt really boogies fault because the amps I bought were floor models so I believe they get banged around a bit which in turn may cause the prob with the tubes.

Now for the good part,,and a reason I decided to stay with boogies. When I first brought home my f50 I noticed this problem when playing quietly and it bugged the **** out of me. I didnt know what it was and I originally thought the cab had some rattle that believe it or not I found to be a problem in other brands cheap overseas made models. I bought and returned some amps because of this. Anyways after much experimenting and trouble shooting I located the rattle,,,the tube it was.
I contacted boogie and stated my prob and said I found the rattle in the tube unacceptable,,so much so I didnt want to use them.
Within 10 days I had a new set of tubes on my doorstep.
I eventually returned that f50 and purchased the ROV and the same **** problem was happening,,,,,Again I called boogie and once more about
10 days later another new set of tubes for me. They solved the problem both times for me even though it really isnt their fault.
I was made happy and they now have a life long customer...all id good.
Remember though my amps were brand new and had the original warranty including the 6 month tube warranty..I also had to fax them proof of ownership with my receipt...
Good luck to ya

I forgot to mention this in my post above,,,,while speaking to boogie they had mentioned something about a tension screw. Both the f50 and the
ROV have them,,and assume all boogies do but I cant be sure of that.
Im talking combos here,,,if you look underneath on the bottom of your chassis sort of in the middle of it you will see a screw, usually black,,
it protrudes down and looks kind of odd because it looks as if its not screwed in all the way,,,it sticks down quite a bit. Anyways thats the tension screw and its used according to boogie to keep your chassis quiet from vibrations. When tightened a bit it simply butts up to the very top of the inside of the cab and tightens everything up...Brilliant indeed.
I bet if other manufactures would have thought of this I may not have owned a boogie right now....boogie said they set these screws accordingly before leaving the factory but if needed only tighten gradually,,,dont need to imbed it into the cab.. Luckily for me that was not the problem in either of my two amps,,,the power tubes were the culprit

Back