What strings/tunings do you use?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LTE

Reaction score
Ibanez Hollowbody:
D'addario .13 flatwounds
E Standard

Ibanez Jem:
D'addario or Ernie Ball 10's roundwound
E Standard

Ibanez Rg1570:
D'addario or Ernie Ball 12's roundwounds
E Standard

I'm using DR tite-fit .10's on my Ernie Ball and DR tite-fit 9's on my strat copy Peavey. I think i'm using EB Earthwood .12's on my acoustic. All guitars are in standard or drop D...

Epi SG G400
right now it has EB Not Even Slinky 12's (low E is a 56), but i'll probably go back to either Power Slinky 11's or the Skinny Top/Heavy Bottom (a more manageable 52/10). Usually tuned to Eb (or drop Db, depending on the song)

ESP Ltd EC-401b
EB Power Slinky 11's. Usually tuned to standard E or drop D, but sometimes i'll tune down to Bb and rattle the walls.

Epi PR-650-N Acoustic
usually Martin Acoustic SP Medium 13's. Tunings are all over the place from standard E to C, and all kinds of open tunings as the need arises.

ESP NV STD w/Kahler 2315 trem
Ernie Ball Beefy with the 54 swapped out for a 56 tuned to drop C

ESP Eclipse II fixed bridge
Ernie Ball Beefy with the 54 swapped out for a 56 drop C as well

Ibanez RG2228
72-59-46-36-26-17-13-10 tuned half step flat daddario 7 string set, and a daddario 72 guitar string

Hamer USA Standard: Dean Markley Blue Steel Med. 11-52 (plain 3rd) Tuned D standard and dropped C
ESP/LTD Michael Amott Ninja-600: Same strings tuned C standard.
Dean 79 series V: EB self made set 11-56 tuned B standard

Epiphone G-400 - D'addario 10's standard tuning
Epiphone Sheraton - D'addario 10's standard tunning
Ibanez Xiphos - D'addario 9's standard tuning (sometimes I put 10's on this one and tune it down a whole step)
Lucida Artista Classical - D'addario EJ45's.

I've tried a lot of strings of different sizes and companies and I seem to always come back to D'addario. They sound good and don't cost much so I get them.

I'm a big fan of standard tuning. I love metal and know it's the metal thing to do is to down tune but I really like the sound of strings at standard tuning. When I do down tune I do like to increase the gauge of the string to keep tension about the same

derekjason said:
Ibanez RG2228
72-59-46-36-26-17-13-10 tuned half step flat daddario 7 string set, and a daddario 72 guitar string

lol, 72!!!

haha that must be fun to just hit that low f string!

yeah dude the 8th string is like opening the 9th gate to hell. sometimes i get confused as to which string im on tho hahahaa. it is fun tho. even if you slap one on a 6 string, that is if the nut accommodates it.

My band tunes to Eb and C# (Eb with dropped D)

I use Ernie Ball 10-52's on my Ibanez's and Ernie Ball 11-54's on my Caparison Angelus.

D'Addario EJ21 12-52's with a wound 3rd tuned to Drop-B (B F# B E G# C#) :twisted: :twisted:

In the studio we found that if you don't use a wound third with thicker strings in a dropped tuning (i.e. above a 10 gauge, and below 1 step de-tuned), the notes on the third string will not ring true. I had Ernie Ball 11-54's on my guitar with a plain .22 third string and it sounded as if it had 2 octaves when playing a single sustained note. When we changed back to a wound 3rd string, it cured the problem instantly.

-AJH

curt mangan 10 - 46 on my 6 stringers.

curt mangan custom (optimized - 009, 012, 016, 024, .036, .044, .060) set on my 7 string.

all guitars are tuned to e while the 7 is on b.

i used to have GHS ZW 10-60 on all my guitars (PRS custom 24, fender american strat, cort strat knockoff), but due to health issues (left wrist carpagra) i switched to dunlop or fender (if dunlops aren't avaiable) 10-52 sets. I still consider ZW set as best strings i've ever had on any guitar, they just don't flinch from hard picking like other strings. they're cool with tuning changes too :)

i use standard tuning on most songs, drop d for two or three and CGDGBE tuning (my personal favourite) for like four songs with my band.

ryjan said:
ESP custom with Ernie Ball regular slinkys. A-440 because I like my bass player to earn his keep.

Me and my buddy both play triple rectifier full stacks with my bottom cab have a single 15" with 2 12"ers. Bass players need not apply lmao.

R_ADKINS80 said:
ryjan said:
ESP custom with Ernie Ball regular slinkys. A-440 because I like my bass player to earn his keep.

Me and my buddy both play triple rectifier full stacks with my bottom cab have a single 15" with 2 12"ers. Bass players need not apply lmao.
Then who do you have carry your gear? lmfao!

My RG7420BP right now is set-up in a way I don't normally use it has D'Addario 9-54 in Bb, because I didn't have time to make a balanced set and I needed a guitar in Bb.

My RG2228 however is set-up the way I like, with progressive tension 8 10.5 14 19w 28w 38w 52w 68w, feels awesome.

^8-String eh? Badass.

Ernie Ball Super Slinky (9s) on my DG JP6 in E-standard
Ernie Ball Not Even Slinkys (12s) on my OLPJP in C-Standard
D'Addario Nickel-Plated 10s on my JP7 in standard

Why D'Addarios on the 7? Because Ernie Ball doesn't make a 7-String set...and because they last hella long compared to Slinkys IMO.

73h Nils said:
Why D'Addarios on the 7? Because Ernie Ball doesn't make a 7-String set...and because they last hella long compared to Slinkys IMO.

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ernie-Ball-2621-Regular-Slinky-Nickel-Wound-7String-Electric-Guitar-Strings?sku=100643

Back