What speaker for my Fillmore 50 - evm12l?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uzeurillus1on

Reaction score
I just got a Fillmore 50 head with the 1x12 black shadow c90. I love the Fillmore head but I really don’t care for that speaker. Over the years the one speaker I always love and come back to is the greenback. I recently got a pair of fane m65’s and really like them too, they’re similar.

I have a mark v 25 and I’ve been running through and open back 2x12 with greenbacks. I actually like the Fillmore 1x12 when I run that WITH the 2x12. The nasally honk of the c90 is kind of overshadowed this way. I’ve tried enough Celestions to know what I like with them but I’ve never tried an EVM. So I need to figure something out since I don’t like this Fillmore cab.

I would replace the speaker but 1x12’s just don’t sound big enough imo. Thought about getting a thiele cab but back to the black shadow and I don’t think it would give me the 2x12 sound I’m used to.

I’m between getting the new Mesa 2x10 creamback cab and possibly replacing the black shadow with something else in the 1x12 OR there’s a EVM loaded 2x12 for sale- I’m just not sure if I’m going to like them.

I like the crispness and the crunchy breakup of the greenbacks. I hate nasal honk (v30, c90). I don’t like harsh speakers (g1275t). The fanes sound great although I do slightly prefer the greens. I had a pair of Texas heats and hated them, sounded flubby.

opinions for those that have direct greenback and EVM knowledge. Also I don’t mind closed back cabs but I tend to prefer open back. I don’t play out anymore so weight isn’t an issue, all this stuff sits in my basement. I was really on the fence about getting the Mesa 1x12 thiele but between not liking the c90 and a lot of people saying their very beamy and not going to sound as big as a 2x12 I kind of moved on from that idea

I may play some musical chairs with the cabs too depending on what I get. I have the mark v 25 head, Fillmore 50, and a blackface/dumble clone. For cabs I’ve got the open back 2x12 with greenbacks, fane m65 closed back 2x12 and the Fillmore 1x12. If I get that EVM 2x12 I’ll probably used that with the fender clone and use the m65’s with the Fillmore and keep the greenback 2x12 with the mark

get the thiele cab with the EV speaker you won't be disappointed and your back will thank you to.

I just got a Fillmore 50 head with the 1x12 black shadow c90. I love the Fillmore head but I really don’t care for that speaker. Over the years the one speaker I always love and come back to is the greenback. I recently got a pair of fane m65’s and really like them too, they’re similar.

I have a mark v 25 and I’ve been running through and open back 2x12 with greenbacks. I actually like the Fillmore 1x12 when I run that WITH the 2x12. The nasally honk of the c90 is kind of overshadowed this way. I’ve tried enough Celestions to know what I like with them but I’ve never tried an EVM. So I need to figure something out since I don’t like this Fillmore cab.

I would replace the speaker but 1x12’s just don’t sound big enough imo. Thought about getting a thiele cab but back to the black shadow and I don’t think it would give me the 2x12 sound I’m used to.

I’m between getting the new Mesa 2x10 creamback cab and possibly replacing the black shadow with something else in the 1x12 OR there’s a EVM loaded 2x12 for sale- I’m just not sure if I’m going to like them.

I like the crispness and the crunchy breakup of the greenbacks. I hate nasal honk (v30, c90). I don’t like harsh speakers (g1275t). The fanes sound great although I do slightly prefer the greens. I had a pair of Texas heats and hated them, sounded flubby.

opinions for those that have direct greenback and EVM knowledge. Also I don’t mind closed back cabs but I tend to prefer open back. I don’t play out anymore so weight isn’t an issue, all this stuff sits in my basement. I was really on the fence about getting the Mesa 1x12 thiele but between not liking the c90 and a lot of people saying their very beamy and not going to sound as big as a 2x12 I kind of moved on from that idea

I may play some musical chairs with the cabs too depending on what I get. I have the mark v 25 head, Fillmore 50, and a blackface/dumble clone. For cabs I’ve got the open back 2x12 with greenbacks, fane m65 closed back 2x12 and the Fillmore 1x12. If I get that EVM 2x12 I’ll probably used that with the fender clone and use the m65’s with the Fillmore and keep the greenback 2x12 with the mark
A few routes you can take. 1. Just use your 2x12 for everything. I have a Mojotone British lite with two Greenbacks (All I ever use) and it's superb (I don't see why you don't like the Celestion Black Shadow, they're lovely, but okay). 2. Try Warehouse or Weber's EV type. 3. Just go to the Celestion website and look at the Heritage 65, my other favorite. 4. Or if wattage is an issue the good ol' 75, Classic Lead 80 or especially the G12K-100 for a monster 1x12 cab.

I have a Fillmore 100 and run it through a 2x12 with Celestion redbacks and they sound amazing. A few years ago I purchased a Friedman twin sister with single Redback and plugged my Mesa into it and I like it better than the closed back 2x12 The single twelve open back sounds huge and fills the space very well.

I don't really find the Mesa C90 nasally. It sounds really good in all the demos I've heard.

I owned a thiele cab/EVM for a while and concur that it is a big, lovely, and deep sound. Great, but alone I did not care for it. Tight, focused bass, and crisp and smooth top, but needed mids and warmth. So alone, no go; but along with a combo cab --in other words an open back-- and an MC90, it is a glorious combination. The only reason I sold the Thiele was I never really used it to gig since it was one more thing to lug. But for home use, huge thumbs up!

Edward

just an update: I purchased a mess 4x10 open back cab with creambacks. Along with the 1x12 c90 it sounds perfect. They compliment each other well. I did buy an open back 2x12 with 2 80’s evm12l’s for another amp.

I’m considering moving the c90 with the EVM and taking an EVM and putting it in the 1x12-

Latest posts

Back