Version Differences for Single Rec?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhadhar65

Reaction score
I've tried to find this topic here and couldn't, so forgive me if this is the millionth time its come up:

What's the difference in Version I and Version II for the Solo 50?

Series II has the RAW mode, think Mesa trying to cop a plexi. It did a pretty good job at that if you ask me. I enjoyed my Series II Solo 50 while I had it but now I`m headed in the Mark territory. :wink:

Also, Series I used 6L6's only, but Series II offered the option of using 6l6's or EL34's. I believe some people felt the clean sound was better on the Series I, but I've never played a series II myself.

There's also a difference in the foot pedals connectivity.

And let us not forget the "external switching" jacks, though I've really no idea exactly what one would do with these :shock: :D

cellardweller said:
And let us not forget the "external switching" jacks, though I've really no idea exactly what one would do with these :shock: :D

I do believe you use these with latch triggers or MIDI devices for channel switching and turning on and off the fx loops etc. like what John Petrucci's Rig is hooked up to, where each button triggers a different setup for a particular song, linking the effects in the chain, turning the FX loop on or off by that trigger, and putting it on a specific amp channel. (Sort of like what the Digitech GNX series and Boss GT series multi effects processors do with the 5 buttons with OD-Mod-Delay-Control) and with the amp setting you have an A/B choice. Instead to using the amp's Foot controller, you use the MIDI controller to do all switching. This is an example of a footcontroller from Petrucci's rig (to the right).
pedalboard2002.jpg

tot_rig_back_closeup.jpg

In the second pic (above), Petrucci's Road Kings have the trigger patches fed into a box, that goes to the rack units, effects and the footcontroller.

I hope this is clear, haha, sorry if I went a little too far with it, but i just wanted to let ya know what the heck it is my friend haha!

-AJH

Wow. I'm glad that setup works for Petrucci. But, I don't have a degree in electrical engineering, so it makes my head hurt.

haha yeah, in practical everyday use, I don't really see that much use for them, but,for situations like that, they do come in handy i guess. Just proves to me that when you get a Mesa, you are getting a professional grade amp. As for that sick rig,if you have the time to do that #1 you're a genious, #2 you have alot of free time and/or #3 you have great balance in your banking accounts :lol: . Sorry for the headache db.

-AJH

Back