V:90... Setting channel master levels vs output

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rarebitusa

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
Been using my V:90 live for a while now, do dig the amp for many reasons, versatility for one. Anyway soliciting any input from those who have used one live in multiple venues.

Going to get into the weeds here

One question is if anyone has found optimum level settings for channel masters vs output master. Typically I've been running Chan masters 11-noon and then pulling up the output master as an overall volume control. In the current venues that's ends up around 10-11. Since 4CM is integral to the setup the output master and loop are always on. Yea a number of things play into it, the cab the room, etc. However read one post recently where the player set the output master high ~3pm and then ran the channel masters much lower. Wasn't something that crossed my mind, but will try it soon.

Second question is balancing volumes, currently use Ch 3 for solo work with the 10W mode as the harmonic content is a bit richer, tone bloom is easier to manipulate. However depending on the output master level there comes a point, depending where the Chan master does little to increase volume. That's like around 12-1. Use chan 1 (Fat) at 90W for the clean headroom and Ch 2 (Crunch) at 45W. So balancing volumes is always a bit of a challenge when each chan is different. Also look to not increase chan switch popping :)

Anyway just wondering what other folks have done, perhaps they have a setup approach that has worked well. I'm always up to hear related experiences.

FWIW... been using this approach live now for the past month and it seems to be working well. With the master output up the chan masters are, as expected much more sensitive to control vol. A little gooses that output but the higher gain setting to a lower chan master seems to retain the headroom better.

This is always an issue whenever there is an overall master volume control, and may be part of why Mesa boogies amps often have the option to bypass them completely.

There definitely is a difference in feel and how compressed the overall signal gets. On the Stiletto I find the chan masters have to be up and of course the master output up too. If they are down too low the fizziness comes in. I was running the V in sort of the same way with the chan masters up (11:30) but there was a point where the tone got sterile, perhaps the dreaded tone suck. I find now the Chan masters can be run lower (9:30) and it doesn't get fizzy.

I only play guitar at home, but i love the master volume. I have a "beat buddy 2" drum machine stompbox in the loop. I set its volume at noon. Then , with the drum loop player, I turn up the markV master to a suitable volume depending on if it is day or night (apartment living). Then i play through each channel with drum loop playing, and set each channel volume accordingly.
✝️

I'm on my second Mark V that I've had for a few months. So far I've only used it at outdoor gigs. I balance the the channel volumes and use the output as overall level. I mostly just use channels 1 and 2, cleans I'm almost to 1oclock, gain channels a little below noon. Output I've been able to be between 11-noon, everything at 90 watts

Volume pots are not necessarily a bad thing. There are countless circuits where you can see a voltage divider (which is what a volume pot is, albeit fixed) in between gain stages. The designer “decided for you” where to set those gain/volume pots.

When you set a 1 Mohm volume pot very low (ex. 0.5-1 out of 10), is like having 990 kohm in series with your signal and 10 kohm shunt to ground, maybe even less than that. You’re not making the pot “work well”, and most of all you’re not driving the following stage with a signal it is usually supposed to deal with. That’s why loud amps with a single place to control volume sound bad at bedroom levels.

The Mark V has the great advantage to have two places where you can control the overall level. This way, you can avoid using either one at the lowest extreme of its range as above explained. More also, the channel output levels are placed before the graphic eq, which is a solid state circuit, that you’ll never want to saturate. Having the channel volumes at 10-11.00 o’clock is already a pretty healthy signal for the following circuit.
The output level is a dedicated extra gain stage with low gain that is designed to work as it is labeled, without altering tone too much.
This is one beauty of the Mark V, although not a “Mark purist” feature, because it allows you to play with great Mesa tones at bedroom levels!

So my advice is to never set either of the volumes at max, as someone might suggest, but always take full advance of this possibility!

Giulio

Last edited:
Back