using recording outs on mark iv?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onetonepony

Reaction score
hello boogie boarders
this is my first post. i just bought my first boogie last night, mark iv combo (#iv 008257)and have been lurking on this sight for weeks now. so to start, thanks for all the posts regarding the unique aspects of all the different amps. it was very helpful in trying to nail down the best choice for my purposes.
my question is this.......i plan on using this amp for direct recording with a palmer pdi 03 and a mic'ed isolation cab, but am currently without either for the amp came first. so i have this beautiful new toy that i cannot use for loudness reasons. i did not get a manual but i downloaded one from mesa, and the section on the "recording outs" seems a bit confusing. it states that the recording outs "mutes signal at the power section", but also warns not to use without a speaker connected. does this mean that these are pre amp outs? so can i at least use these outputs to get used to the controls, or do i still need a load of some sort even though the speakers seem to not be in the picture? sorry ... a bit confused.

also. can anyone tell me approx what year this is, given the above serial number. thanks

I believe the Record Out's tone is only influenced by the preamp. However, when you use it, you must have a speaker plugged it.

The speaker will be silent, but the output transistor will still have a load on it, which is a must. If a speaker isn't plugged in, the output transistor will suffer damage and may fry.

thanks mesadclp
so i guess that means it is alright to use the ,recording outs, direct into my motu2408, without a load box, without fear of harming the amp?
if so, that makes my night. thanks again.

MesaDCLP said:
..... but the output transistor will still have a load on it, which is a must.
That would be the output transformer. :wink:

To onetonepony, as long as you do not disconnect the speaker from the amp, you'll be ok without a load box, as the speaker IS the load.

~trem

Let me clarify for you.

The recording out feature does not mute your amp by itself. If you want this feature you must pull the output knob out (silent recording) in conjunction with the recording out.

You also must have a speaker load connected at all times regardless of this feature. If you use silent recording mode you won't hear anything but you still must have a load on the amplifier.

For example, I record both my recording out and amp cab with a dynamic mic at the same time and blend them. The silent feature is nice if you don't want to hear anything and go straight in (but it sounds kind of sterile on its own) but it's also nice to be able to record the amp and still have it go through your cab.

the link to the FAQ was helpful. and the other post were correct, this noob didnt know about FAQ's, though iv read many many dozens of other threads trying to find information within, relating to this issue. this forum stuff is new to me.
thanks for the patience.

"You also must have a speaker load connected at all times regardless of this feature."

so i guess im not understanding completley. is the speaker cable plugged into the speaker out " a load", even though the output to the speaker is being cut somewhere within the internal circuit? maby i dont quite understand what "load" means. isn't it just resistance within the circuit? and if i need to add a load, where do i add it if not at the speaker output?

in the end i want to know, should i play the amp as it comes, using the "record out" into my minterface, or should i wait for the palmer?

The combo has a speaker connected to it, so as long as the speaker remains connected, yes, you can use the recording out.

onetonepony said:
"You also must have a speaker load connected at all times regardless of this feature."

so i guess im not understanding completley. is the speaker cable plugged into the speaker out " a load", even though the output to the speaker is being cut somewhere within the internal circuit? maby i dont quite understand what "load" means. isn't it just resistance within the circuit? and if i need to add a load, where do i add it if not at the speaker output?

in the end i want to know, should i play the amp as it comes, using the "record out" into my minterface, or should i wait for the palmer?

Yes, as long as you have a dummy load (speaker, power soak, etc) into the back where the different ohm outputs are you are fine. Using the silent record feature mutes the speaker but it's still connected to the amp and therefore still supplying a load.

You are good to use the recording out as it is now with no problems. I just wanted to make sure you had a load on the amp so you don't cook a tranny.

Latest posts

Back