Using a 2Ch Dual Recto as power amp.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

punkrocker

Reaction score
Alright I don't even know if this is possible or if this is even the right place to post this but here it goes. My band's powered mix blew the other day and is in for repairs. I have another mixer but it is not powered. Here is what I have setup: Out on mixer to return on effects loop. PA Speakers connected to speaker seccion in the back of the amp. This enables me to amplify my vocals. Now the tricky part. I want to know if it is some how possible to run what is in the mixer through those two pa speakers and then run my guitar through the mesa and out of my 4x12 cab WITHOUT the vocals, just guitar. I am think mabye I need to do something with the slave out because the manual says you can use this for a wet mix (vocals) to other speakers. Is this at all possible? Thanks!

The IDEA is good - but don't do it.

The power section of the Mesa doesn't provide nearly enough power to run the PA speakers (100 watts). It's also voiced to be a guitar amp - not a PA amp. The power section will break up and distort. You also run into impedance mismatch problems depending on the impedance of your PA speakers.

If you're using your DR for a power amp in this way - you also won't be able to use it as a guitar amp.

You're MUCH better off getting or borrowing another power amp for the PA. You'll sound bad and stand to ruin your DR if you do it the way you propose. It's a great exercise in improvisation - but don't do it ;)

ill trade you a power amp for your recto, unless its a 3 channel

ill even pay for the shipping both ways :D

ok ill trade if its a 3 channel as well, but ill only pay to ship half :p

punkrocker said:
haha sure thing :D no really what is so much better about the 2 than the three?

there is probably some threads on here with discussion regarding it, for myself personally all the 3 channel heads I played sounded fizzy.

its a nice power amp, a QSC, its only like 900 watts but hell thats 800 more watts than your recto ;)

punkrocker said:
Alright I don't even know if this is possible or if this is even the right place to post this but here it goes. My band's powered mix blew the other day and is in for repairs. I have another mixer but it is not powered. Here is what I have setup: Out on mixer to return on effects loop. PA Speakers connected to speaker seccion in the back of the amp. This enables me to amplify my vocals. Now the tricky part. I want to know if it is some how possible to run what is in the mixer through those two pa speakers and then run my guitar through the mesa and out of my 4x12 cab WITHOUT the vocals, just guitar. I am think mabye I need to do something with the slave out because the manual says you can use this for a wet mix (vocals) to other speakers. Is this at all possible? Thanks!

Main thing to keep in mind, is the Mesa is rated at 16 ohms, 8 ohms, something like that. PA speakers are usually in the 2 ohm, 4 ohm range. I wouldn't do it, for that reason.

Now, you could run the slave out to the mixer, then take a mono feed from the mixer to your 4x12, and have everything play through your 4x12.

Or just spend $100 or so for a cheap PA....... eBay, Pawn Shop....... something.

One way or the other, I don't think it'll be worth it. You'll either mess up the Mesa with the impedance mismatch, or suffer poor sound, running everything through your 4x12.

alright then i wont do it. I think i've found a different solution. LOUD VOCAL HEADPHONE MIX lol!

Latest posts

Back