tungsol EL34B anyone try em yet?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm also wondering about these tubes. I'm thinking about putting them in my Triple Rectifier. I think Nitrobattery has used them in his rectifier head and he said they are pretty amazing. He and I both play Metal styled music.

-AJH

I would spend the extra $10 and get the SED =C= tubes. They are the creme of the crop when it comes to new production power tubes IMO.

I just got a quad today and chucked them in my Roadster. I won't soon be changing back to 6L6's. The clean channels stay clean and they've breathed new life into my 3rd and 4th channels.

TFridgen said:
I just got a quad today and chucked them in my Roadster. I won't soon be changing back to 6L6's. The clean channels stay clean and they've breathed new life into my 3rd and 4th channels.
a quad of the EL34B's????
a review please!!! :D

I need to give my ears a bit of a break so I'll give a brief review of the Tung Sol's.
I find the clean channels are more or less exactly the same, there is still the nice crisp sound but they seem be quite a bit more textured with richer harmonics.
I needed to bump up the bass on the 3rd and 4th channel to add some girth as I found that it dropped a little bit in the bass department after the switch but the bass seems quite a bit tighter than with the stock Mesa 6l6's.
The hi-gain tones are unbelievable, the harmonics are unreal and I find the there is better response to my playing dynamics(really digging in creates phenomal drive.)
My chugga-chuggas now seem more aggressive and urgent which I guess is an effect of the tightened low end.
Needless to say the lead sounds have improved as well, it sounds like there's 12 other notes in there when I let the played note ring.

I probably shouldn't have written this review so soon after trying these for the first time, as more than likely the placebo effect is slanting my views a bit. If things change drastically tomorrow after a night of resting my ears, I will definitely post again with a more unbiased opinion. Until then, however, I will declare that these tubes f'in' turbo.

I swear by the EL34b's in my Roadster. They sound absolutely incredible. Everything sounds fuller, richer, and punchier

Nitrobattery said:
I swear by the EL34b's in my Roadster. They sound absolutely incredible. Everything sounds fuller, richer, and punchier

can you compare them to KT-77's?

kmanick said:
Nitrobattery said:

can you compare them to KT-77's?

Honestly, I didn't like the KT-77's at all...at least in my Roadster I didn't. I thought they sounded super bright and I found the clean channels started breaking up way earlier than with 6L6's or the EL34b's.

MusicManJP6 said:
Well, I just placed an order for a pair of the Tung Sol EL34Bs for my Stiletto. Can't wait to hear them!

I'll be shocked if you don't love them :)

I just ordered a pair of the Tung Sol's for my Roadster head. I am looking forward to trying them.
Since I am only running a pair instead of a quad, do I put them in the outer sockets and leave the two inner ones empty? Plus, do I pull one of the rectifier tubes and if so, does it matter which one?
Also, does it matter if you run the amp in bold or spongy.. tube or diode?
I normally run mine in bold/tube. I'm just being cautious.

Thanks

jhguitar1 said:
I just ordered a pair of the Tung Sol's for my Roadster head. I am looking forward to trying them.
Since I am only running a pair instead of a quad, do I put them in the outer sockets and leave the two inner ones empty? Plus, do I pull one of the rectifier tubes and if so, does it matter which one?
Also, does it matter if you run the amp in bold or spongy.. tube or diode?
I normally run mine in bold/tube. I'm just being cautious.

Thanks

In the Roadster, the two outer sockets are what is on when in 50 watt mode, and you can leave the other tubes in with no problem. This is what Mesa told me after calling about which tubes were active in 50 watt mode. You also don't have to pull a rectifier tube as long as you're in 50 watt mode. Bold/spongy or tube diode also doesn't matter, just be sure you have EL 34 bias on.

Any updates? I'm due for some new EL34's for my Ace and it looks like it's between the EL34Bs and the =C='s. Thanks.

I definitely like the EL34Bs in my Ace. They remind me of the difference I observed between my Mesa 6L6s and SED Winged =C= 6L6s when I had my Rectoverb so I'm guessing the Winged =C= EL34s would have a similar sound compared to the EL34Bs. Can't say for sure though. I would def recommend the EL34Bs!

MusicManJP6 said:
I definitely like the EL34Bs in my Ace. They remind me of the difference I observed between my Mesa 6L6s and SED Winged =C= 6L6s when I had my Rectoverb so I'm guessing the Winged =C= EL34s would have a similar sound compared to the EL34Bs. Can't say for sure though. I would def recommend the EL34Bs!

Did you have stock Mesas in there before you switched? Mine are Mesa and I'm looking to switch 'em out and use 'em for spares.

Latest posts

Back