Tube sockets slightly melted????

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sonny13

Reaction score
Hi new to posting on the board. great site :)
I have a dual rec (3 channel), 9 years old, I just changed power tubes and noticed the one socket was slightly melted at rim. It just had a lil dip on the edge. The amp works fine, never had an issue, Is this normal??
Those power tubes were in for about 5 years.

thanks in advance for the advice

If Im not mistaken Mesa uses ceramic tube sockets. Can you take a pic of it? Maybe someone hit with a soldering iron on accident I can't imagine tubes getting hot enough to do that without burning more.

That was actually my next question, if they were ceramic lol, I bought the head new back in 2000, NEVER had an issue, but this is only the second time I changed the ower tubes. When I called mesa years ago the guy told me (hush hush lol) to never change the pre am or rec tubes unless I was having a problem or wanted to "change " the tone of the amp. He said to change the power tubes when you "hear " a change. or do it every 2-4 years depending on how hard you run it. The last year it has run HARD, heard the tone change so i changed it. I saw the marks when I did. Ill try and take a pic, but it does look like it was "melted" by a soldering iron. The amp runs great , new power tubes and it s like I have my amp back

Is there any matinence I should do?? clean sockets, . In nine years I have nt done anything but change power tubes

all hail mesa :)

Are you sure that it's not some kind of a molding mark or short shot that you didn't notice the first time you changed the tubes?

what is a short shot?? It may have been there. It does look discolored a bit but it may have been there from b4. I did nt know if it was becasue I left those tubes in for so, long. When I lay live the head gets driven hard. but in 5 years it sat about a year lol

A "short shot" is caused when a mold doesn't fill all the way, leaving the molded part with a void. It can be caused several factors including not using enough injection pressure, running out of medium or improper venting. Improper venting can cause the plastic to show burn marks as well.

Way too much info, right?

Latest posts

Back