Trying to find the right pick-up

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kylek

Reaction score
Okay, I'm trying to find the right pick up for my back up guitar.

Its an ESP/LTD Hybrid-300. It has a duncan designed humbucker, and I am looking to upgrade to another humbucker. I am looking for a tone that basically kicks you in the mouth and knocks your teeth down your throat.

I dont want anything active because it would be difficult to put batteries in as the guitar has no backplate.

Right now I am looking at 4 different bridge p/us and was wondering if any of you have any experience with them.

Gibson Dirtyfingers
Gibson Tony Iommi
PRS Tremonti Treble
DiMarzio Evolution

any suggestions?

Its a mahogany body, little heavier than a strat, set neck with a mahogany neck.

I have a 498T in my Les Paul studio, but i'm looking for something a little different

If you want a tone that basically kicks you in the mouth and knocks your teeth down your throat then you should try either a Tone Zone or an X2N.

I don't think the Evo is the right pickup for what you want. It really is a lead players pickup. I have the Evo in one of my Jems and played many RG-570's with them also and to me there are WAY better choices out there. Also don't look past the super distortion.

In SD I'd look at the Invader or Duncan Distortion.

Or a Bill Lawrence L-500XL

Sanchez

I read some about the X2N, and it appears that there is a lot of problems with them feeding back... but i guess that is to be expected when you get a pick up that is that high of an output

I have a b/u guitar fitted with a TZ and compared to the 498T, it sounds only a bit smoother in the treble in my DC10. It doesn't seem any more powerful in terms of overdriving the input. It is an awesome p'up for leads, as well.

kylek said:
Its a mahogany body, little heavier than a strat, set neck with a mahogany neck.

I have a 498T in my Les Paul studio, but i'm looking for something a little different

Considering you have mahogany body and neck, the sound is gonna be alot darker then say a maple neck. So keep that into consideration when choosing pickups.

Sorry for the short post, but I gotta roll.

Daniel K said:
kylek said:

Considering you have mahogany body and neck, the sound is gonna be alot darker then say a maple neck. So keep that into consideration when choosing pickups.

Sorry for the short post, but I gotta roll.
True here............I`d slap a Duncan JB in that guitar. :lol:

I have experience with a pretty wicked pickup.. The SD Dimebucker..
It's hard and fast, percussive, cuts great, and powerful without getting mushy. I'll bet you'll love it.. :wink:
ax. 8)

I got it and i found my Pickup.... I ended up getting a PRS Tremonti Treble, and I love it.

Latest posts

Back