Triple ---> Dual

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jee_gd

Reaction score
Hi everyone!! I have a huge question!

I have a Triple rectifier...but it's too loud for my rehearsal place or even when I do a show, the soundman wants to kill me. Somebody said to me: just remove 2 power tube (6L6), 6 - 2 = 4 tubes. So I 'll be able to give more gain and really use tubes like it should be!!! If I do this, will I destroy my amp?? Cause a Power attenuator is really expensive (at least $300).

Thanks a lot for your help!!!

Jee

PS: anyone ever used Aphex 204 (aural + big big bottom)

My understanding of electronics is yes, however, people have done it and gotten away with it. I say yes because the impedance will drop by 1/3 and then you will not have a jack suited for that type of load. The loads only go by halves.

FYI, 2 less tubes is only 3dB of less volume. The amp will still be insanely loud and you won't get that much more saturation at the lower levels as you may expect.

Instead, try the Spongy setting if youre playing in Bold. Its the amps own variac. Maybe even try it in tube rec too. Also turn on the Loop, 12 o'clock the send and mix volumes and drop the masters on each channel. You can get it down to bedroom levels like this.

Make sure you read the owners manual( available online at mesa boogie)
I always find something new that I missed before. Also I am an advocate for using either an overdrive or distortion pedal as a clean signal boost to get a decent sound at bedroom levels. People always knock Boss metalzones but I like to run one in front of my amp if I cant crank it. Just dont use any of the pedals gain( have it almost on zero) and use the pedals eq and volume control to taste. This allows you to get a tighter sound with more bass at low volumes.

Elpelotero said:
FYI, 2 less tubes is only 3dB of less volume. The amp will still be insanely loud and you won't get that much more saturation at the lower levels as you may expect.

That's incorrect. 1/2 of the power (in this case, 75 watts) is a 3db drop in volume. By removing 2 tubes, you're lowering your amp to 100 watts, instead of 150, so there's be maybe a 1db drop in volume, which would barely even be noticeable.

To really get the tubes cooking, you should be looking into a 20-30 watt amp.

sixtonoize said:
Elpelotero said:

That's incorrect. 1/2 of the power (in this case, 75 watts) is a 3db drop in volume. By removing 2 tubes, you're lowering your amp to 100 watts, instead of 150, so there's be maybe a 1db drop in volume, which would barely even be noticeable.

To really get the tubes cooking, you should be looking into a 20-30 watt amp.

i stand corrected

It's essentially the same as the output impedance. In the same way that you'd need a 5.333333 ohm output tap to match an 8 ohm cab, you'll be putting out 100 watts instead of 150, so you're putting out 2/3 of the change in volume, so I guess it would probably be 2 db, not 1, like I originally posted.

But you're certainly correct about the end result. Your output impedance won't be matched, and the volume won't really change.

jee_gd said:
Cause a Power attenuator is really expensive (at least $300).

$300 is pretty cheap for a safe solution. Especially when you consider how much you shelled out for the amp in the first place.

+1

You should spend a little time on the Marshall Amp Forum. It's kinda like the unofficial THD Hot Plate fan club.

On my triple I engage the loop and use the loop as a master volume. Im able to play at very low levels doing this. It does change your settings. Play with the tone settings when you do this.

I have removed 4 tubes and it sounded real thin to me. Ive removed 2 tubes and it sounded a little thin and was still loud.

Back