Tonal Differences Between Analog & Digital

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It really depends on the pedal and the settings. Most analog delay pedals a warmer sounding but will tend to lose some highs when you crank up the repeats and or feedback. Analog pedals will typically have a shorter delay time, although that isnt really too big an issue since too long a repeat makes for a sonic mess.

Digital delays will have longer repeats and sound cleaner, although they are very cold and lifeless in comparison to their analog brethren. There are some very good digital delays, although they are expensive and typically rackmount.

tape delays are even warmer and are totaly different beast. They can be very hifi and sound cleaner than digital will still being warm. You can also get man more sounds out of them from the degredation of the signal in ways that cannot be reproduced digitally or otherwise. My personal favorite is the Binson echorec that pink floyd uses.

Tape:
Fultone Echoplex
21764_1.gif

Maestro Echoplex
Echoplex.jpg

Roland RE-301
inside_large.jpg

Copycat
WEM-Copycat.jpg

Binson Echorec 2
binsonechorec1.jpg

Analog:

Maxon AD9
6011434001.jpg

Maxon AD999
MaxonAD999Big.jpg

EH Deluxe Memory Man
EHDMM.jpg

Ibanez (Maxon made) AD-202
ad202.JPG

Digital:

Boss DD6
BOSS-DD6_Digital_Delay.jpg

There are also a good many delays out that are digital but have built in modulation to mimic the sound of analog units. (i.e. T-rex Reptile, Boss DD-7 in analog mode, etc...)

Sure, but nothing beats the original. The Line 6 Delay Moddeler is quite good tho for many options and settings you can tweak.

dmt said:
Sure, but nothing beats the original. The Line 6 Delay Moddeler is quite good tho for many options and settings you can tweak.

+1.

I'm an analog kind of guy - but the Line 6 DL4 is great. Eric Johnson has even been known to use one live!

I just want a Binson Echorec 2 and a Eventide Harmonizer, then I'd be done. At that point I could harmonize the delay and the repeats....

dmt said:

I was just adding a point that I thought would be helpful.

If you can afford the original and it works logistically, by all mean, go for it!

Latest posts

Back