Telefunken ECC83 / 12AX7 smooth plate NOS

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edgarallanpoe

Reaction score
I'm not planning on buying some but it would suck if you bought them and one failed/died in a month or so.

Highly unlikely. These tubes were designed to last around 10000 hours. Tone is subjective, nobody can tell you if this is the right tube for you. But their performance is legendary. If they sucked and didn't last long, do you think people would shell out $160 a pop with a smile on their faces? Doubt it. LOL!!!

I have a couple and they are indeed amazing tubes. I prefer the Mullard but that is a personal choice based on the Mullards absolutely glorious midrange.

Unfortunately there is absolutely nothing even close to it being made today.

Germany made tubes. Seimens, RFT, and Telefunken are the big boys from the Germans.

This saying "they don't make 'em like they used to" is too applicable regarding tubes and guitars nowadays (and I'm sure countless other non-music products).

Tubes, yes. Guitars, no.

IMHO we are living in a golden age of guitar building. There are a multitude of makers right now that are producing absolutely stunning guitars that are on par or better than anything Gibby or Fender put out in the past. Guys like Nik Huber, Terry McInturff, Mcnaught, Suhr, Collings, Gene Baker, etc... all make a monster guitar that can stand up to any vintage guitar. Believe me, I own them and can compare them so I am not talking out of my backside here.

The difference in tubes is simple. Tubes of yesterday were *not* designed for guitar amplifiers. Most were produced for military/scientific functions and people lives depended on these tubes. People tend to pay more attention to detail when their product is being placed in critical situations where a malfunction could result in death.

Another reason is the restriction that has been placed on tube makers by emissions controls. Making tubes is a dirty business, which is why you see the current crop being made in places like China or Russia. Places with less restrictions on what can be put into the air. It is highly unlikely that you will see tubes being made in California any time soon. LOL!!!

Most preamp tubes last approx. 2 yrs from what I've read/heard. So $20x6 = $120.

These Telefunken's seem A LOT less expensive all of a sudden.

This is exactly what people don't understand about NOS tubes. they see the big price tag and walk away. Most don't see the *long term* price. They are still more expensive, but much less so than it initially appears.

The are great tubes. I think that price is insane for one though. You can find them at plenty of dealers and on ebay for much less.

I'm not talking about taking a chance on an unknown tube from someone that sells Barbie dolls and adult videos. There are plenty of dealers on ebay that sell nothing but NOS tubes and have hundreds of positive feedbacks and no negatives.

Hickok TV-7D/U Tests 48/50,48/50, 50/50, Minimum:32

These tube techs are using some equipment to determine how much life left, etc.?

That means that the tubes were tested on a Hickok tube tester. Hickok is one of the premiere makers of tube testing equipment. This particular tube tester uses a scale of measuring the strength of the tube, anything under 32 is a bad tube. These tubes look to have about 75% of their life left. IMHO that is a very high price for those tubes.

rabies, check your PMs.

Ei is currently producing knock off Teles. The only issue with Ei is their QA is not as good and the quality of the steel isn't what it was when Telefunken was making tubes. Again the QA isn't what it was because the Government and medical technologies are no longer using tubes. Steel prices are out of control compared to what they used to be too. Made in China doesn't help either.

You need to look at Tesla (not JJ). These are made on Telefuken equipment to exacting specs. These are a lower cost tube with an excelent reputation. Much better than anything made today. Mike @ kcanostubes.com raves about them and has a ready supply. I have no financal interst in this other than I'm getting ready to make an order myself.

You need to look at Tesla (not JJ). These are made on Telefuken equipment to exacting specs. These are a lower cost tube with an excelent reputation. Much better than anything made today. Mike @ kcanostubes.com raves about them and has a ready supply. I have no financal interst in this other than I'm getting ready to make an order myself.

The Tesla that you refer to is not the same thing. The Tesla is a reproduction of a different Telefunken tube, not the long, smooth plate Tele. The Tesla is a fantastic tube and worth every penny of the $60 that Mike is charging, but the smooth plate Telefunken is a different animal. That Tesla might be the best "bang for the buck" NOS tube on the market right now. Fantastic stuff.

The Tesla ECC803S would be closer to the Telefunken being discussed, but that is an uber-rare tube and is ribbed plated, not smooth.

Thanks for this correction. I am new at this, but have been doing alot of research to understand these tubes as to retube my amp.

These are 100,000 hr tubes and sound great in just about everything you put them in.

My guess would be that the above statement is a misprint. I have always understood 10K, not 100K. Wouldn't be the first or last time I was wrong though.

I agree, a misprint. Otherwise I play about 10 hours a week. That's 520 hours a year. For 10,000 hours I could play 192 years! Cool, I'll get my money's woth for sure. In all seriousness 10,000 hours is still a lot of play time compared to current production runs of approximately 2-3000 hours.

A good tube like a Telefunken or a Mullard could theoretically last 10,000 hours but that says nothing about when it goes microphonic. That is something to consider and keep in mind when dreaming.

A good tube like a Telefunken or a Mullard could theoretically last 10,000 hours but that says nothing about when it goes microphonic. That is something to consider and keep in mind when dreaming.

I'll take my shots with a Tele or Mullard any day over a Chinese or Russian tube. The current tube in V1 of my Roadking is a 1963 Mullard that I have been using for at least 7 years. Before it went into the RK it was in V1 of a Marshall Superlead. It still tests higher than a new Tung Sol.

I'd have a large stash too if I could afford the $$$$$. Am considering a small stash as they will only become more rare and costly.

rabies said:
Anybody know what tube brands and models the 60's greats used?

Like Gilmour, Hendrix, the Doors guy, Page, Iommi?

I'm guessing it was only German, USA and British made tubes back then.

Must have been these Mullards and Telefunkens...

They used pretty much whatever was available. Well made tubes (Mullards, Tele's, etc.) were everywhere.

Pete Cornish did/does the amp & effects work for David Gilmour & Brian May as well as many other big names. I love this pic. from his website of the Mullard EL84's he would pull from Brian May's amps when he changed them-

Mullard-EL84s.jpg

I wouldn't doubt it. Tech's like to maintain amps and have them absolutely fail proof. I am sure that there are some in there that are even testing almost new. There may be matched pairs and quads if you tested them all. Whoever comes into that stash will make some coin.

Wassup?
Telefunkens are indeed a FABULOUS 12AX7 tube... very spacious almost 3-D performance... especially in vintage High-end tube audio systems in which the differences of good tubes can be appreciated.
I sure dont want this to sound like a dang Spam Trail... truthfully I already get all the business I can handle. But besides my book writing and studio/guitar work, I am also the curator of The Altar Of Amps... and out of this interest I slowly, over the years and out of neccessity, came to the point where I became a vintage tube vendor too. I specialize in acquiring, testing, and matching tubes for vintage guitar amps and audio equipment. I wanted to therefore merely comment on the high prices of tubes out there...
I hate to see people spending so very much on vintage tubes. A LOT of those boutique tube sites are easily double at times what one can actually get tubes for... like on Ebay for instance. Unfortunately, many people have been burned badly buying tubes there, as fully 9 out of 10 sellers on the 'Bay site either don't know what they're doing, or simply have not invested in proper equipment. Most of the so-called "matched" pairs of power tubes for example will be tested for mere emissions on a small $40 tabletop tester one finds out in Grandpa's garage. You get them in the mail, and they cannot even be biased in your amp because they were not tested for current draws... very dissappointing for sure.
But there ARE maybe a dozen sellers on Ebay besides myself doing things PROPERLY, and if u take the trouble to find them u can hook up with vintage tubes for way less.
To save more money, don't be too quick to turn your nose up at used tubes. Remember, many tubes which have been sitting in amps for 40 years still test very well... for mutual conductance, current, and filament life. Again, that decision can rest upon your faith in the seller and his testing equipment. I am confident that, were I to place a pair of great testing Tele's in my amp at this point, that they will out-live ME.
I sell close-matched pairs of great-testing used Telefunken 12AX7's all the time from $79-129 per pair... so there's just one example. Keep in mind that a great many so-called "NOS" tubes sold (even on the boutique sites) are actually very good looking and testing USED tubes. These vendors collect and keep vintage boxes too... and when a tube meets a certain criteria, it is placed on an "original" box and sold as NOS. I know nobody wants that said particularly, but most of the tubes I have purchased from guys like yourself... guys who bought "NOS" tubes from an online vendor and ended up not using them... well, I can easily tell u that many are actually used anyway. So really, how a tube performs/tests becomes the key issue.
More money can be saved if a buyer is more concerned with TONE than cosmetics... in the collectable tube market, a great testing tube with the stencling rubbed off/smeared reduces the retail value of that tube significantly. If u dont CARE that the Telefunken logo is perfect, u can save a LOT of dough. Many times tubes are "Re-Branded" for another company... so one can save more $$$ buy buying, say, a Telefunken 12AX7 ordered by "The Fisher" and sporting that Fisher logo rather than Tele. Same exact tube, different ink sprayed on it... so another way to save money if this isnt your concern at all.
To sum up, merely ASK lots of questions to identify a good tube vendor: What kind of equipment does he use, and what kind of tests can he apply? Does he gaurentee them, or are they sold "as is"? When I test tubes on my Hickok 539C, Maximatcher, and Hickok 209A, I can offer guarenteed money-back tubes with confidence... but most people are NOT going to spend maybe thousand$ on testing equipment just to sell on Ebay. Rather than develope a life-time customer, they are after a sale and then on to the next one. Being informed can lead u to less expensive sources which are trustworthy & experienced.
Best regards
Phoenix Michaels
Stratbasturd @ Ebay
www.altarofamps.com
www.youtube.com/phoenixmichaels

Back