TC Electronic G Major Question!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SonicShredder

Reaction score
I am the very proud owner of the wonderful G Major. I have a question regarding the external relay tip to ground switching.
In the manual, it mentions using only a stereo T.R.S. cable in this jack, and I can understand why they would say that, considering there's supposed to be the 2 relays going through that jack. But on the videos by that Mark Cooper guy on the website, he mentions using a mono cable. I'm wondering if I can use a mono cable in that jack, if I only ever use relay #1, and always leave #2 open. I can't see why it would make a difference, as long as relay #2 is never closed. I've even tried it with a mono cable, and it works fine, but that was for a short period of time. Before I hook it up and leave it, could someone let me know if this would somehow be harmful in the long run???

SonicShredder said:
the videos by that Mark Cooper guy on the website

Do you have a link? I would like to relay switch my Mark IV from my G-major, but haven't really explored the process on how to do it yet.

I just set mine up today using a trs cable. stereo plug into gmajor, one plug into chan1 the other into ch3, with no relays activated ch 2 is default. (a 3ch recto)

Eric said:
I just set mine up today using a trs cable. stereo plug into gmajor, one plug into chan1 the other into ch3, with no relays activated ch 2 is default. (a 3ch recto)

from t.c.`s support page

According to Mesa Boogie Tech dept, these units require an isolated ground connection for each of the rear panel 1/4" external switching inputs.Since Y-Split cables are sharing the ground, they cannot be used from the G-System or G-Major (which output connection is TRS) because they could cause damage to the amp switching network.

lailer75 said:
Eric said:

from t.c.`s support page

According to Mesa Boogie Tech dept, these units require an isolated ground connection for each of the rear panel 1/4" external switching inputs.Since Y-Split cables are sharing the ground, they cannot be used from the G-System or G-Major (which output connection is TRS) because they could cause damage to the amp switching network.

That's the same info I got from Mesa. Mesa says that isolated grounds are needed for channel switching, so I got an Axess CFX-4. The G-Majors relays are OK for things like the FX Loop and Solo switching, and thats what I use the G-Major for.

Dom

Quoting from TC Electronic page:

Question

What kind of cable should I use to connect the G-Major / G-System with my Mesa Boogie Amp in order to switch its channels.
Answer

This answer is valid for all these models: Dual and Triple Rectifier, Rectoverb, Lone Star and Lone Star Special, Solo 50, Roadking.

You can still use mono cables from the GMajor / G-System to any of this amp. This will obviously divide by 2 the switching possibilities since only 1 relay per output can be used.

An other solution is to use a switching device such as AXESS ELECTRONIC CFX4 or MIDI SOLUTION R8 in combination with the G-System. Note that the R8 is midi powered only and requires an adapter available at MIDI SOLUTIONS that can be powered by one of the DC 9V outs of the G-System : The G-System does NOT provide Midi power.

The Mark series (Mark 2,3 & 4, Quad, Studio Preamp, formula Preamp, V-Twin rack Preamp) can be used with Y-Split cables.

Ya, I'm only using the one to switch on channel 4, as channel 1 is the result with no relay switching connected. I have an Axess CFX4, but it's shorting out, or something. I programmed it nicely and such, but it wouldn't retain programming. It would work properly one time, but then it would do this thing where it would flash to the correct relay during switching, then immediately go back to the last used relay. For example, if I wanted to go from relay 3 to relay 1...it might work once, but the next time, it would flash to 1 for about a quarter second, then go back to relay 3. P.O.S. $200 P.O.S!!!

SonicShredder said:
Ya, I'm only using the one to switch on channel 4, as channel 1 is the result with no relay switching connected. I have an Axess CFX4, but it's shorting out, or something. I programmed it nicely and such, but it wouldn't retain programming. It would work properly one time, but then it would do this thing where it would flash to the correct relay during switching, then immediately go back to the last used relay. For example, if I wanted to go from relay 3 to relay 1...it might work once, but the next time, it would flash to 1 for about a quarter second, then go back to relay 3. P.O.S. $200 P.O.S!!!

Sorry to hear of your CFX4 issues. Mine works perfectly, but was a little tricky to set-up (and I'm no MIDI noob). Call Mario at Axess, he'll be more than happy to help you through this, and it may be something he can do over the phone with you if it is some factory settings with the unit (maybe there is a reset).

Dom

Latest posts

Back