Strat PUPS

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dufe36

Reaction score
I need some input about the different pups available for an American Strat. Currently the guitar has those Gold Lace Sensors. They are great for clean tones but I'm looking for something a little more mean (bridge). I would be happy to have your opinions about the different pups on the market. It's the only guitar with single coils that I own, I play with Gibson Les Paul, Peavey Wolfie and a Schecter BlackJack C7 which are all equipped with humbuckers (as you probably already know). I just want to to try something else and this guitar came in for some trade that I did, I'm using it maybe for 3 or 4 songs a night.

Feel free to give your 2 cents!

Thx

Here's my fav Strat configuration. DiMarzio's---

Chopper in the bridge,
Cruiser (bridge) middle and a
Pro Track in the neck.

The Chopper is exactly what your asking for. Check them out. Also DiMarzio has a 30 day guarantee for all p/u's, So you can keep swapping until you find the right mix.

Hey thanks,

It ain't the first time I hear about Strat and DiMarzio pups but your opinion definately helps. I should have mentionned what gear I'm using:

Mesa 2:90 + Triaxis + TC G-Major + 412 Mesa Rec Slant = heaven

Thx again man, I'll be ordering some of these!

My favorites in a strat are the Fender CS 69's, the Eric Johnson pickups and EMG strat replacements.. I haven't tried the DiMarzio lineup for single coils but I read good things and Guitarzan knows the score so I'd take his word on it. What exactly are you talking about when you say 'mean'? Can you give some artist comparison..? Like.. SRV style mean?

I like EMG SA. These have higher output than most strat pickups. Dead silent, and drive long cable runs without treble rolloff, although stomp boxes can still cause tone suck. Think David Gilmour (Pink Floyd) and early Knopfler (Dire Straights) for some of the sounds you can get.

Hoove_Dogg said:
Any suggestions for a high ouput, humbucker bridge P'up to go in a Strat?

Dimarzio makes a Super Distortion in a mini bucker/strat sized p/u. They also make a Tone Zone in that size as well.

Yeah sorry, I have H-S-S so I meant an actual humbucker.
I was looking at Duncan SH-4, 5, or 6.

I've found a setup I love for S-S-S strats. I had it in my old american strat that got stolen from my apartment :evil:

I loved it so much I got the same setup when I replaced the guitar.

Blue lace sensor in the neck position, gets a good beefy gainy tone that capitalizes on its position.

Gold lace sensor in the middle. Mix it with the neck and it cleans that Blue pickup up incredibly, great for funky/jazzy clean rhythm, or use it by itself for the glassy transparent tone it's known for.

Seymour Duncan Hot Rails, single-size humbucker in the bridge. Great for leads, right-hand harmonics, high-gain power-chord crunch. Mix it with the Gold in the middle for twangy punch.

By itself I don't have a whole lot good to say about the Gold lace sensor, but mixed with either the Blue in the neck or the Hot Rails in the bridge it gives you a ton of flexibility.

Well if you want to stay with the same type of pickups (older Lace Sensors) you can go with a Red Lace Sensor in the Bridge. That would be a little meaner.

+1 for the Blue in the neck...

Personally I like the Silver in the middle of that combination but you already have Gold.

A doubled Red is pretty mean too.

ytse_jam said:
Hoove_Dogg said:
Any suggestions for a high ouput, humbucker bridge P'up to go in a Strat?
real or mini humbucker?

I had a Strat with a Floyd in it in the early 90s. It came with some Duncan thing that I didn't care for. At the time I had already swapped the neck standard single coil for a Blue Lace Sensor and the center standard single coil for a Silver Lace Sensor. I was pretty set on running a dual Red Lace Sensor but then I took a chance on a new pickup that DiMarzio came out with. That pickup was the Evolution. That thing was a real screamer. If you do not have a Floyd in your Strat you can get a standard one instead of the F-spaced that I had.

Other high output pickups that I have had are: X2N, Detonator, Hot Rails, and of course the Bill Lawrence 500XL like DIME. If you feel like going active you can always go EMG81.

Russ said:
Personally I like the Silver in the middle of that combination but you already have Gold.

Hey Russ, what do you prefer about the Silver over the Gold? I've never tried the silver and bought the gold again because I liked how it sounded, but I'm curious as to what differences you've noticed.

It just sounds more like what I think a classic strat sounds like. The Gold is a little hotter I think. The scheme went blue, silver, gold , red, from mild to wild.

I almost forgot...

They offered the 3 gold setup but I don't think that they ever offered the 3 silver setup in a deluxe? They did offer the blue, silver , red though.

Back