stiletto ace, vintage modern, rockerverb

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oacikgoz

Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I'm looking for a British voiced amp with high gain. Which of these three should I go for? Stiletto Ace, Marshall Vintage Modern and Orange Rockerverb...

I played Orange Rockerverb in a local shop and I was absolutely floored, it was kind of expensive though...

I played marshall Vintage Modern and I also liked it a lot... the fact that it is a single channel amp is my biggest concern...

I never get to try Stiletto. People say it's great but how great is it? How does it compare to these other two?

The amp I want should create AC/DC, Blackmore-era Deep Purple, Brian May, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd and at the same time more modern stuff like GnR, velvet revolver etc....

It should have a very good clean so when equipped with a heavier distortion, I should be able to play heavy metal as well... Thanks a lot for your input.

Get a Stiletto.

You should really try all of these amps out first though. If you are going to get a Marshall I'd recommend getting a 2 channel 800 or maybe a Jubilee. I've heard good things about the Orange as well. These are all good amps.

But... since you are asking my advice and all.. well...

Get a Stiletto.

:wink:

I can't find any Marshall 800s with 2 channels... they all have one... hmm maybe I'm missing something...

Of the three I wouldn't even put Vintage Modern in the same category; it's very brittle and cold sounding.

I used to own Stilletto Trident (Stage 1) and loved it, especially the fluid position - just smooth and powerful tone. The high gain, overall, was a bit high strung.

I currently own RV100, and by far the most satisfying, natural distortion tone, bar none. And, this amp would suit your type of music IMHO. I got mine used for $1,000 :shock: A steal indeed!!!

Good luck.

oacikgoz said:
I can't find any Marshall 800s with 2 channels... they all have one... hmm maybe I'm missing something...

Here is a pic:

jcm800.jpg

I believe the model #'s are 2205 and 2210. I'm *pretty* sure Tom Morello uses a 2205 so that can give you an idea of the sound. Nice amps. Just make sure you do your research because there was a problem with some of these with the channels bleeding into each other. I forget what year/model it was though.

Anyhoo... that, the RV100 and the Stiletto are all great amps.

never tried a stiletto or ace and you want to talk about it?

play one and be prepared to pay the price ;-)

I've owned the Orange and the Stiletto.. both are different but equally good in my opinion. The Stiletto is way more versatile but it's also a lot brighter. The Orange is much darker but great at its 'one trick'

I personally would go for the Orange Rockerverb 50 because it has a great, punchy clean tone. The distortion is great also and it can do everything from slight overdrive to over the top high gain. It is really great for classic rock type tones. I used to own the Stilleto Ace, but I found it to be too ice picky, so I returned it. The Vintage Modern is nice for distortion, but it can't touch the Rockerverb 50 for clean tones.

I guess Rockerverb 50 is a superior choice then...

One other thing... can I boost rockerverb with a tube screamer to get modern heavy metal tones?

Thanks for your input!!!

I wouldnt say that at all, actually for the tones you are going for I would choose the stiletto over the rocketverb. Why, well because the stiletto is more voiced towards a marshall then the rocketverb, and most of those groups you mentioned are marshall users.

The stiletto also has more options, only thing it does not have that the rocketverb does, is built in reverb. That is not a big thing for me, i much prefer a chorus or delay anyway, or even a reverb pedal.

Honestly, I would place an ad in craigs list seeing if anyone local has a stiletto stage II you can try out, explain to them your reason for wanting to try it out. Most musicans I know would have no problem helping you out. Hell if you are in Washington DC area stop on over at my place.

oacikgoz said:

One other thing... can I boost rockerverb with a tube screamer to get modern heavy metal tones?

Thanks for your input!!!

PS if you go with the Orange rocketverb, I would get the 100 watt version, why because with that version you can switch between 6L6, EL34, KT88 and 6550 tubes. But with the 50 you are stuck to just 6V6's unless you get it professionaly modded.

oacikgoz said:

Thanks for your input!!!

Wouldn't say that either.. I think the Stiletto is the better amp for what you're going for. Personally I don't think the cleans on the Rocker are anything to write home about.. then again no EL34 amp has fantastic cleans for me. The Stiletto cleans are actually really **** impressive for being EL34. I think they're better. I also feel that the Stiletto is much more touch sensitive.

You see different viewpoints on the topic already, you need to go play both and choose with your ears!!

Platypus said:
Personally I don't think the cleans on the Rocker are anything to write home about.. then again no EL34 amp has fantastic cleans for me.

Acutally the Rockerverb 50 uses 6V6 power tubes (not EL34's) and in my opinion has the best clean sound out of these three amps. Although all three of these amps have equally great distotion channels. It just really depends what flavor of distortion you prefer.

CodeTitan said:
Platypus said:
Personally I don't think the cleans on the Rocker are anything to write home about.. then again no EL34 amp has fantastic cleans for me.

Acutally the Rockerverb 50 uses 6V6 power tubes (not EL34's) and in my opinion has the best clean sound out of these three amps. Although all three of these amps have equally great distotion channels. It just really depends what flavor of distortion you prefer.

Ah, I had the 30, assumed it would have the same power section. 6V6's have delicious cleans so I'd have to hear it but I'm betting the cleans are better than the Stiletto if that's the case. I wouldn't say my 30 had 'modern metal' tones in it, would you say the same about the 50?

Platypus said:
I wouldn't say my 30 had 'modern metal' tones in it, would you say the same about the 50?

No, it doesn't really have 'modern metal' tones it, although it definately does get a lot of gain. I thought the clean channel sounded similar to a Fender Super Reverb. The distortion channel excels at the old Led Zeppelin type guitar tones.

CodeTitan said:
Platypus said:
I wouldn't say my 30 had 'modern metal' tones in it, would you say the same about the 50?

No, it doesn't really have 'modern metal' tones it, although it definately does get a lot of gain. I thought the clean channel sounded similar to a Fender Super Reverb. The distortion channel excels at the old Led Zeppelin type guitar tones.

That's what I found in mine as well regarding the distortion channel.

Here's my simple 2 cents on my RV 100 and Stiletto (Stage I).

RV 100 (loves Strats!!!):
Gain channel: 10 out of 10 (so musical ~~~)
Clean channel: 8 out of 10; great w/ pedals esp. w/ my AC Booster/BB Preamp

Stiletto (loves Les Pauls) (overall, more versatile amp):
Gain channel: 9 out of 10 (much more compressed and brighter)
Clean channel: 8.5 out of 10; I actually think it has a great, fat clean tone for Jazz. Al Dimeola uses it!

Vintage Modern: Just not worth it. Actually JVM is much better amp.

how about splawn quickrod... it looks like it nails best marshalls ever produced with more gain....

Latest posts

Back