Speaker choice for a mark IIB(Advice please?)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MK IIB

Reaction score
Hi folks.
I would appreciate any advice on what a good speaker replacement for a mark IIb would be.I've heard the vintage 30's are good?The style of music being played is rock/blues/funk/reggae etc.(No metal)
Would it be worth fitting a replacement EVM12L?Are they really superior or is there another speaker that sounds just as good?Any help/advice is much appreciated.Thanks.

The EV is hard to beat, V30 are fizzy and jensen are jensen's !

you could try a MC90 or a old Rola 80, but fitting a V30 into a combo 'open box' would be a draw back from original!

at bedroom volume V30 seems sexy "high medium and treble" but Live its fizzy and dull!

v30 works great into closed 4x12 box mixed with g12 75

I have a Mark IIA combo that I recently swapped out the EVM12L for an Eminence Lil' Texas neo. I weighted everything out during the process and end result was shaving off 17 lbs.; the combo is now a manageable 45lbs.

Soundwise, the Emi doesn't have the big tight bass of the EV, but that's not necessarily a bad thing in my case; I was going for a more blackface clean tone, and the Emi is a lot flatter sounding to me. There are other choices in neos as well, the Webers, Jensens, and Celestions all seem to get good reviews.

I had a Vintage 30 in my Mark III which I really liked at the time, I was playing a lot louder then!

The Mark II-A and II-B are different sounding amps. The II-A is a darker amp.

The II-A is more similar to a Tweed Bassman while the II-B is more like a Blackface.

i have a head, not a combo...

i like greenbacks, in combos of 2 or 4

if i had a combo, i'd find either a 12L, or better yet, an older EV SRO, if you can get it to fit in there!

Hi folks.
Is the EVM 12-L definitely the best sounding speaker for the Mark IIB?
I was looking at one and was told it is very harsh sounding with no bottom end punch?Yet I thought the 12-L was known for it's big bottom end?
A Celestion 12 100 was recommended as sounding good with the marks from this same guy who has a mark 1,2 and 2 and says he has them in all of his mark amps.
If there was one speaker to be used in the 1x2 combo what's the best one to seek out?
I don't play any metal whatsoever.
Mainly rock,blues,even some reggae/ska etc.
Thanks folks.All opinions are much appreciated.

I have a Mark I Reissue combo. I replaced the EVM (which I personally do not care for) with a Scumback H75 100 wt 12". I love the sound of it.

Hi folks.
Can anyone tell me what speaker the "Black Shadow" 150 watt that came stock in a 1981 Mark 2B was please?It wasn't the 12-L as this cost extra.What would have been the stock "non upgrade option" speaker in an '81 2B?An Eminence perhaps?
I'm trying to find out what the stock speaker was in my amp before being changed.I tried a 12-L and it sounded a bit "harsher" than the stock speaker.
Any help is much appreciated.
Thanks.

That is the one I have in my II-B.

If I recall properly, it is an Eminence MS-12.

igfraso said:
That is the one I have in my II-B.

If I recall properly, it is an Eminence MS-12.
Thank you Daniel.
These don't seem to pop up often at all.I prefer these to the EV 12-L and would love to get hold of one for my IIB.
Did this come stock in your IIB?What year is yours Daniel?
Thank you.

MK IIB said:
Hi folks.
Can anyone tell me what speaker the "Black Shadow" 150 watt that came stock in a 1981 Mark 2B was please?It wasn't the 12-L as this cost extra.What would have been the stock "non upgrade option" speaker in an '81 2B?An Eminence perhaps?
I'm trying to find out what the stock speaker was in my amp before being changed.I tried a 12-L and it sounded a bit "harsher" than the stock speaker.
Thanks.

The 150 watt speakers are Eminence MS-12, and many here (including me) love them. I have one in a 1/2 back 1x12, which is my #1 speaker cab I use for rehearsal. For gigs I couple it with a EVM 12L-loaded Thiele. Kicks-*** combination, IMO.

dodger916 said:
MK IIB said:
Hi folks.
Thanks.

The 150 watt speakers are Eminence MS-12, and many here (including me) love them. I have one in a 1/2 back 1x12, which is my #1 speaker cab I use for rehearsal. For gigs I couple it with a EVM 12L-loaded Thiele. Kicks-*** combination, IMO.

+1 Same here. The MS -12 half back + the Thiele W/EVM12L can't be beat IMHO. If I were using only 1X12 in a combo or a half back cab I'd go with the MS-12. It's my favorite 12" speaker hands down.

MK IIB said:
Hi folks.
I would appreciate any advice on what a good speaker replacement for a mark IIb would be.I've heard the vintage 30's are good?The style of music being played is rock/blues/funk/reggae etc.(No metal)
Would it be worth fitting a replacement EVM12L?Are they really superior or is there another speaker that sounds just as good?Any help/advice is much appreciated.Thanks.

IMHO you can't beat an EV 12-L for that classic Boogie tone; granted they are heavy as all get out, but they can't be beat for pristine clean tones. A JBL D120 is also a killer speaker that sounds awesome in a Mark II. Eminence was also an option for those early Mk I/II combos, and are a great all around speaker.

Now, I don't get why folks are saying that Vintage 30's don't sound good in an open back combo. My buddy has a Rivera 2x12 with V30's that absolutely smokes his brother's Marshall 1960 with G12-75's; but my Mark IIA with a D130F puts BOTH to shame... Especially when I add my EV 12-L into the mix! (I have a 15" combo) Talking about TONE... WOW!

It all boils down to what makes your ears happy... And your budget. Check out this website for some possibilities (inspiration?):
http://www.usspeaker.com/homepage.htm

Happy tone hunting! You have a IIB, that's a hell of a start!!!

Maybe throwing a small spanner in the works..
don't discount the Altec 417 series too..!
My Mk 1 has a 417-8H factory standard, and I've had a 417-8c and the earlier 417 series with my Mk IIA and my 100w Mk IIB - stellar.!
I find the Altecs generally a tighter band of "sweet spot", but when it's there, I much prefer them to the EVM's..

McBarry said:
Maybe throwing a small spanner in the works..
don't discount the Altec 417 series too..!
My Mk 1 has a 417-8H factory standard, and I've had a 417-8c and the earlier 417 series with my Mk IIA and my 100w Mk IIB - stellar.!
I find the Altecs generally a tighter band of "sweet spot", but when it's there, I much prefer them to the EVM's..

Altecs were Santana's speaker of choice... I'd love to get my hands on one!

Does anyone know when the Eminence MS-12's first appeared in a mark 2 as a stock speaker?

I think I got this off B/B I'm not sure but its a live comparison of 15 different 12" speakers. Maybe it will give you some ideas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWK0sa7tlfI

Sorry I don't know when the MS-12 first appeared on the boogie scene but I'm sure someone will know.

I had seen this before but listened to it again.For me the EV 12-L sounded the best.I've heard they can be "harsh" sounding but in this scenario I think it had a warmth that other speakers were lacking!

MK IIB said:
I had seen this before but listened to it again.For me the EV 12-L sounded the best.I've heard they can be "harsh" sounding but in this scenario I think it had a warmth that other speakers were lacking!

Yeah I just went back and listened to it again myself and of the speakers they used, I would agree the EVM12L sounded good. Unfortunately they didn't demo an MS-12, I wasn't impressed with the swamp thang or the tonker, the 2 eminence speakers they used. And keeping in mind that how those speakers sound through a rivera with his settings, obviously they would sound different through a boogie. also I'm playing through a C+ so the opinion of someone with a Mark ll B would apply to your circumstances much better than my own. The EVM12L is my 2nd fav, I played through an EVM12L for a couple years and I didn't find it to be harsh. I just prefer the MS -12 (in a C+) when using a single 12". And I love the EVM12L in a thiele.

Back