Speaker/Cabinet suggestions

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Os

Reaction score
I'm playing my Mark III through Celestion-loaded 4x10 at present but I'm interested in exploring others options. Any suggestions on speakers and/or cabinet choices?

For me its got to be two 1 x12" cabinets, one open back and one Thiele both loaded with EVs.
Ian

I play my Mk III through either a Vintage 30 loaded Marshall 4x12 cab (the 1960AV) or a half open back Mesa 1x12 with a Black Shadow/Celestion 90. Both have different characteristics but still sound good. It depends on what sound your after. If you ae considering getting a Celestion G12T-75 loaded cab (very common in Marshall cabs), the extra $100-$200 you'd spend on Vintage 30's may be worth it, V30's have a warmer, growly tone to them than the G12T-75's.

Os said:
Yes, I'm certainly leaning toward a 4 x 12. The Celestion V30 option sounds very interesting. Thank you.

The Mesa 4X12 traditional cab is really nice . It made a huge difference in my rig .

The G-Flex 2X12 is hands down an amazing cabinet. It is basically a larger ported Thiele, but it has smaller voice coils that tame the top end of the MK amps nicely. I also use an ealry 90's Boogie 1X12 Thiele with the EV-12L. It is a great cab, but it does not have the projection of the G-Flex. It's much more directional where the tone comes out in front of the cab. The G-Flex gives a wider spread and fills the room. With the Road King's, Rectifier, IIC+,III and IV I have found the G-Flex to suit my needs more than the other four 4X12's and the Thiele. My plans in the near future is to combine it with a Mesa 2X12 or straight 4X12 and see how they blend.

My main setup has been a stereo rig using the 92 Rectifier and the MK III or IIC+ out into two 4X12's. With the G-Flex and the Mesa 2X12 I am hoping to pair down the size and see if it gets me close to my original tone or better. My current speaker cabs are a Soldano 4X12 slant in snakeskin with V-30's and a Mesa slant 4X12 with V-30's as well. I get stereo separation with a super secret TC Electronic unit and the tone is massive. I do not use any effects, but I may add the Xotic BB for a little extra push. If the setup is noisy I will use a Boss NS-2 which is very transparent and I like how it lets the reverb tail off for a nice effect on the MK side if the setup.

Good Luck in your search for the tone.

Latest posts

Back