SOB amazing!!!!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike77

Reaction score
I never would have thought that trying something so extreme with my SOB
would yield such great tone but who knew. Perhaps someone here can shed some light on this. I have been playing my LP Special with seymore Duncan p-90s and the SOB always was on the dark side of tone if you know what I mean. And most of the stuff I've read has said the tone controls were very interactive and not to really get above say 6-7 on any of them. Of course i don't have a manuel for the SOB but for all the other Boogies that seems to be the general concensus. So I am playing the other night and for whatever reason decide to try it with the treble on 9,the bass on 8 and the mid somewhere between 5-6. Holy toledo this thing opened up like never before singing,screaming wild passion, it was as if my superlead and twin got together and had a love child.Just the most alive tone you could ever want. I don't know if it is because of the age of the amp, how they made these or what but I will never get rid of this one ever now. It was good before and always did the job but it was very picky about which guitar to use now no matter what guitar it is a tone animal. Anybody else ever set the tone stack similar?

Now try this:

turn all of the knobs on 0 then set everything back to the settings you had and the tone will be different.

Sometimes not alot but it won't be exactly the same because of the EQ and gain structure I guess

I doo this all the time on my Studio Pre and my DC-3 and it is amazing where a little tone shift will take your playing.

I also find that to get back to the tone I had before I have to do something drastic just as you said.

Older style boogie amps are for tweakers!!

Mike77 said:
I never would have thought that trying something so extreme with my SOB
would yield such great tone but who knew. Perhaps someone here can shed some light on this. I have been playing my LP Special with seymore Duncan p-90s and the SOB always was on the dark side of tone if you know what I mean. And most of the stuff I've read has said the tone controls were very interactive and not to really get above say 6-7 on any of them. Of course i don't have a manuel for the SOB but for all the other Boogies that seems to be the general concensus. So I am playing the other night and for whatever reason decide to try it with the treble on 9,the bass on 8 and the mid somewhere between 5-6. Holy toledo this thing opened up like never before singing,screaming wild passion, it was as if my superlead and twin got together and had a love child.Just the most alive tone you could ever want. I don't know if it is because of the age of the amp, how they made these or what but I will never get rid of this one ever now. It was good before and always did the job but it was very picky about which guitar to use now no matter what guitar it is a tone animal. Anybody else ever set the tone stack similar?
The older Boogies, I (I'm not sure about the reissue), II, SOB, not so sure about Mark III, the tone controls were basically like Silver Face Fenders, fairly passive. They are not interactive like today's Boogie. That is main reason I like early Boogies, they're easy to set.

Amp with interactive tone controls makes it a more versatile but at the expense, you might not get the same sound once you fiddle with you tone controls. Many people gets too caught up, the more versatile an amp is, the better sounding the amp is. What if the amp is a very simple amp and does what you want?

That's is on reason I like earlier Boogies. After the Mark IIs, seems like the guitar trend was even more gain which is everyone's or most people cup of tea, but not mine.

The only later Boogie I really like is the Dual Rectifier (opposite end of the Earlier Boogies), and perhaps, the Blue Angels, Mavericks.

Try turning that bass control down to about 2 or 3.Having the bass that high,particularly at higher volumes tends to muddy things up.This is true with most amps,not just Boogies.Will really open things up.

So passive tone controls like a Fender you say. That certainly would explain quite a bit. I am much more adept at configuring the tone controls passive then with the newer interactive ones. Just had to let a F-50 go because I was so disappointed in it, couldn't get a great tone out of it clean overdriven or otherwise. The great thing about the SOB is it is on par with Fender clean no problem and if you work it the lead is just total
par excellence.

Latest posts

Back