smooth old EVH tone

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have edited my bad quoting. The reason I ask is I have been using an 8 ohm hotplate with my markv for a couple weeks and it's been fine. I checked the thd website and didn't find anything saying not to use their products with mesa amps.

so gplex, if you've been able to compare both the 5150 iii and the V, you think the V can get an approximation of the blue channels smoothness? I guess would it be good for playing van halen. I would like more versatility than a VH cruch and solo sound. But still since there are so many amps out there and I can only get one right now (cause they cost a lot) im trying to figure out what would most suit my needs. (its not just a VH tone i want, i like the mark sound hence the desire for this amp too)

right... no need to hijack the post.. i asked nothing about thd hotplates.. or really any hotplate.

dmcguitar said:
so gplex, if you've been able to compare both the 5150 iii and the V, you think the V can get an approximation of the blue channels smoothness? I guess would it be good for playing van halen. I would like more versatility than a VH cruch and solo sound. But still since there are so many amps out there and I can only get one right now (cause they cost a lot) im trying to figure out what would most suit my needs. (its not just a VH tone i want, i like the mark sound hence the desire for this amp too)

You really need to try them out. I will say the Mkv has almost too much pre-amp gain for EVH. Of course you can turn down the gain and crank the amp. Thats what we did. The MkV is an excellent amp with extreme versitality. I would'nt say it was exact, but sounded really good, close enough for me. I hear a lot of people claiming to have found the elusive Brown Sound, and all I hear is way to much gain.

I think if you can play, almost any amp turned all the way up will get you there.

dmcguitar said:
right... no need to hijack the post.. i asked nothing about thd hotplates.. or really any hotplate.

I have used hot plate a lot in the past. I have had some great tone with then, and some horrible sounds.

I only recommend using a hot plate ( or any attenuator ) on an amp that either has no master, or doesnt develop enough gain on its own. On modern high gain amps, that produce over the top drive at any volume level, a Hot Plate will only hurt your tone, not your amp. It will however wear your tubes the same as if you always played cranked to 10.

The attenuator is a device that absorbs the wattage developed by your amp. It lets a smaller wattage push your speakers. Just think about it a little bit. It is made to bring a cleanish amp into saturation. If you already have saturation, what are you going to obtain?

I used-use a hot plate on a JCM800. It works great. That amp is crazy loud and with the gain maxed, at reasonable volume, it sounds very AC/DC ish. With a hot plate I can run the master up to what ever level it want and get into Zack Wylde territory because I can saturate the power tubes. You do however loose some tone along the way.

Any Mesa amp produces enough gain on it's own. They also have selectable wattage choices on some of the new models. A hot plate is not needed for an amp like this.

gplex said:
dmcguitar said:
On modern high gain amps, that produce over the top drive at any volume level, a Hot Plate will only hurt your tone, not your amp. It will however wear your tubes the same as if you always played cranked to 10..

Preamp distortion sounds VERY different than poweramp distortion...

That is the entire reason for hotplates, so you can crank the master volume, it gets you a warmer, punchier, fatter distortion

Why would they make low wattage amps if preamp gain sounded just as good as a real cranked amp?

seerenity said:
Preamp distortion sounds VERY different than poweramp distortion...

That is the entire reason for hotplates, so you can crank the master volume, it gets you a warmer, punchier, fatter distortion

Why would they make low wattage amps if preamp gain sounded just as good as a real cranked amp?

They make low wattage amps so you CAN turn them up. Check out Lockard 187 amps. Beats the **** out of an attenuator.

Back