Single or Dual Rec...I think I screwed up

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PanicProne

Reaction score
Yesterday I went to my local guitar shop and ordered a single rec brand new for about 1300. I tried out the dual one before buying the single and was impressed with it's overall tone. 'Cause now I'm thinking 400 dollars more and I could have a dual. I play mainly de-tuned hard rock stuff that sounds kinda like Chevelle, Tool, Disturbed, Godsmack etc... Which one would you guys recommend? Also could someone tell me what are the exact differences between the two?

Thanks

They both will give you the 'recto' sound.

The Single has 50 watts as opposed to the 100 watts of the DR, so you won't have as much power to burn through before you get distortion. Any rectifier will get you close to the bands you mentioned. You get the option of having tube rectifiers with the Dual as well. The Single tends to be more 'focused' sounding.

Personally I'd go with the Dual but simply because it is more versatile and has a clean channel that can get loud without breaking up too quickly. I also love the sound of a sagging rectifier tube.

Chevelle use the Mark IV fyi, don't know if you checked that one out.

You'll be fine with a Single, I had a Rectoverb which is a single recto with reverb. I actually perferred the sound of that to my Triple Rectifier.... Distortion and cleans.

tele_jas said:
You'll be fine with a Single, I had a Rectoverb which is a single recto with reverb. I actually perferred the sound of that to my Triple Rectifier.... Distortion and cleans.

I've had several people tell me they like my sound better coming from my Rectoverb rather than my Dual Rec. Although I think I get a better clean sound coming from the Dual Rec.

I would lean towards the Dual Rec just because it has an extra channel, and some more options. Both are great sounding amps though. You can't go wrong with either one.

I have a Rect-o-verb Series 1 (the Single Rec. combo). I would say the disadvantages of the ROV are: more noticeable delay when switching between clean and dirty channel; lack of on-board variac switch; inability to switch between tube and SS rectifier' two instead of three channels. But if you play that Chevelle type of metal, I would imagine you would use the distortion channel primarily and wouldn't need the option of the tube rectifier (produces more of a spongy feel, that modern metal players don't care for).

So, I don't think you can go wrong with either. If you want to switch quickly between clean and dirty channel, I would tend to favor the Dual (I have not played one, but this delay when switching between channels on a Single is a frequent complaint of many).

Back