Seven string or baritone w/mark 4?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billyg121

Reaction score
actually what i need is guitar advice,and how it relates to my mark 4.my band wants to do a bunch of songs that have a pretty low tuning like some chevelle and three days grace.my guitars wont comfortably hold this tuning for more than one song(esp and hamer).does anybody have any advice on this.i have never played a seven string,and what exactly is a baritone guitar?do these guiatrs relate well with my mark 4?thanks for any advice on the detuning world.i would also like to stick to purchasing something under $500.

A baritone is a guitar with a longer scale neck, enableing you to tune lower.

Obviously a seven string is the same as a 6 but with a low B.

The only advice I can offer you is, try them. Try them with your current settings and fiddle around. Perhaps you'd need to cut the bass a bit as the lower tuning will ultimately boost the bass, at least that's the experience I had with Drop C# :smile:

As for guitars, a quick look on Musician's Friend yielded these:

Scecter C1 Blackjack

Fender Baritone Special

These are a little over your budget, but worth it (The Schecter is better imo)

As for 7 strings:

Washburn X27 - Absolute bargain

A few more Schecters and Ibanez

Any of those would be a great choice. Personally I'd go for a 7 string because of the versatility :smile:

PRS just announced a baritone SE, but I don't know when they're going to be available. The SE line is imports, so they're pretty reasonably priced.

Alan

The used Ibanez 7620's are great 7 string guitars and can usually be had for under $500.00.
I just picked one up recently (to go with my Carvin DC727) and I've been pleasantly surprised at the level of quality and playability.
I rarely play my 6'ers anymore, these days 7's are much more interesting to me.

thanks for the replys.i think i am going to go with the 7 string.anyone actually have any experiance with that real cheap washburn x27?i also like the entry level schecter omen 7 string.thanks again for any advice.

I know a guy who used one for ages along side a Fender Mex Strat and Gibson LP Studio. And he still loved it. Pickups were a bit shoddy, but aside from that he said it was great.

You could use much heavier gauge strings to deal with the lower tunings without having to resort to a longer scale guitar. Zakk Wylde does that.

Latest posts

Back