Santana's lead tone

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StrykeBack

Reaction score
I'm looking to get Santana's lead tone from Black magic woman along with the newer stuff like on Smooth or that michelle branch song. (I don't want to hear that it sucks, just how to get it :lol: )

I've got my rectoverb series 2 head and the closest I get is the clean channel with the gain at 12, and treble 12, mid 9, bass, 10, presense 1or 2, and some reverb and then I kick it with a clean boost with my ts9dx.
I know the best way is with a nice fat PAF neck pup with the tone rolled off for black magic woman but was wondering if you guys have any better suggestions or have favorites anywhere else on the amp?

I have a third voicing on the clean channel called Fat, which is voiced to sound like a MkI. It has more gain than the clean setting, and a fatter bottom end.

Gain: 13:00
Treb: 12:00
Mids: 09:30
Bass: 12:00
Pres: 11:00
Mast: 10:30

Two overdrives (I use a TS-9 and ZW-44), both with the level at 7 and the gain set to taste. Gives you that compressed, smooth, sustain for days sound.

One 50ft guitar lead to bleed off top end off your guitar signal.

GuitarPort has a Smooth setting and I was really shocked at how much distortion there really is, on the record it sounds pretty clean. I'll check the GP settings tonight and report back.

Ned

thanks guys. A FAT channel uh? which amp are you using? I've got a clean and pushed option for my clean channel. Then the Raw, Vintage, and modern, for the gain channel (but I don't think modern would be a santana type sound :twisted:

StrykeBack said:
thanks guys. A FAT channel uh?

Recto Preamp....

I didn't really like the fat voicing at first as I kept using it too clean, but for a mild to medium OD it's now my favorite. Very smooth sounding, much like a MkI.

The GP settings for Smooth are:

Amp - 01 Treadplate Dual aka Dual Recto

Drive 5 oclock
Bass 8:30
Mid 5
Treble 5
Presence 7
Volume 3

Give that a try and let me know how it goes.

Ned

Back