S.O.B. ???'s

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

makeuacaster

Reaction score
Just picked up a Son of Boogie. 60W combo with Black Shadow. Haven't recieved it yet, so I don't know if it's an EV nor do I have the serial number.
Why is this amp so besmirked by Mesa lovers?
Can I use a Mark I manual? When were they built?
Tried some searching . . . but not too much found.

Anything would be helpful.

makeuacaster said:
Just picked up a Son of Boogie. 60W combo with Black Shadow. Haven't recieved it yet, so I don't know if it's an EV nor do I have the serial number.
Why is this amp so besmirked by Mesa lovers?
Can I use a Mark I manual? When were they built?
Tried some searching . . . but not too much found.

Anything would be helpful.

Mesa has done a few Mk1 Reissues/SOB runs. I think most SOB's are from the mid 80's to mid 90's. The Mark I manual on Mesa's website is from the most recent Mark I reissue. The SOB is very similar but lacks a few of the features added to the later Reisues like and FX loop, tweed pwr and slave out. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong.)

I don't think the are "besmirked" so much as they just lack the flexibilty that other Marks provide. No foot switch, no loop (on SOB), no eq, no simul-class.

I ordered my SOB new from Mesa in 1985. I still gig with it and it has never let me down.... an amazingly robust amp... but yes.. a little shy on the 'modern features'. It actually was offered with some decent options in '85. Mine has SIMUL-CLASS..... 15/75.... 15 watt Class-A.... 75watt is 15watt Class-A OT blended with 60watt Class-AB.... the two power levels make it extremely versatile. The tone in class-A is amazing even at low volumes.... and then kick in the Class-AB 60watt section when you're in a bigger venue.... pure tone.

SIMUL-CLASS was also offered at 60/100 (all Class-AB).
5-band EQ was an option (wish I had the money to add it at the time).
Effects loop was an option.
LIMIT was a standard feature that year.... not that useful.
Came with an AB box to 'switch' between the two inputs... works, but hard to balance the volume.

I also have a (well-regarded) '67 Bassman ..... another simple, tone-lover's amp.... and I think the SOB is on par with it in many ways (IMHO).

One more thing.... the SOB came with a 'Sample Settings' sheet. I still keep a mini-copy in my wallet.... makes me feel young.... Here they are:

Style: Vol1 Vol2 Master Treble Bass Middle Limit

Lead: Input 1:
/
Lethal Metal: 7 8 7 8 6 0 1.5
Blister Rock: 6 7 7 8 5 3 2
Soulful Lead: 5 6 5 7 5 5 1.5
Wailing Blues: 4 5 3 7 4 5 0
Fat,Clean&Mean: 2 4 4 6 5 5 0

Rythmn: Input 2:
/
Power Metal: 0 8 8 8 5 2 1
Dirty Rock: 0 8 7 8 4 5 1.5
Sparkling Clean: 0 5 3 7.5 4 4 0
Round Warm: 0 6 2 5 5 5 0

You can back down on the MAster Volume on most of these and still get the tone they are suggesting. It provides a good starting point to see what this amp can do.... Enjoy!

It's not looked down upon but it's not a 'proper' reissue of the Mark I, so in that regard it may get some bad press - you've got to know what to expect, I guess. Don't think of it as a Mark I and you shouldn't be disappointed, I've only ever heard of happy owners.

Back