Running LSS in 5 Watt mode... which speaker?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robnutting

Reaction score
Hey I'm trying to change my Lonestar's 1x12 stock speaker. I only use the amp in the 5 watt mode, and what I'm think of is the celestion blue or gold. If all I use is the 5 watt mode, am I better to go with the blue? Or am I better to just go with the gold because there will be little to no tonal difference and in the slim to nil case I do use the 30 watt mode it will be safer. Thoughts?
Thanks ya'll
rob

I think someday you may want or need the 30 watts so I would have a speaker capeable of handling the power. The gold may be the best choice.

robnutting said:
what I'm think of is the celestion blue or gold...Thoughts?
Thanks ya'll
rob

Hi rob,

I use tried various speakers with my LSS and decided on the Golds. To my ear they seem to provide the best overall sound for the LSS at all volumes and all three power settings. I have heard them described as adding a "3D" characteristic to the sound and I agree. The Celestion Golds remind me of some of the EV speakers in that the Golds, like some EV's, do not seem to color the amp sound much. This could be a plus or a minus depending upon what sound you are looking for. Some folks, including me, like some speakers precisely because they do color the amp's sound. Also, the LSS seem pretty powerful when cranked so I was concerned it would damage a Blue.

The other thing I learned about the LSS as I tried out other speakers is that many, if not most speakers, sounded good with the LSS at some volume level, so even if I didn't go with the Golds, there are plenty of other speakers I thought sounded great with the LSS, each with their own unique sound character. For example, I have a cab loaded with a Patriot Rex and a Red Coat Wizard and I like my LSS through this cab, and these speakers do color the LSS, but I like the coloration they provide.

It's all about what you hear and like.
Bill

Latest posts

Back