Road King vs. Dual Rectifier

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin the Great

Reaction score
What exactly is better about a Road King than a Dual Rectifier? I really would like a Road King but it costs a chunk, head or combo so I would be interested if anyone could tell me what the perks are to the road king vs. Dual Rectifier. Also, Mark IV is on the list...But I'm not sure.

Kevin the Great said:
What exactly is better about a Road King than a Dual Rectifier? I really would like a Road King but it costs a chunk, head or combo so I would be interested if anyone could tell me what the perks are to the road king vs. Dual Rectifier. Also, Mark IV is on the list...But I'm not sure.

RK has four channels with 3 modes each . Also progressive linkage allows you to pick your power amp to each preamp channel . A ton more versatility . I dont think you can compare the Mark IV and RK . Thats like apples and oranges .

A Mark IV was kind of out of the question, I was just wondering what is good about that amp, because I can't say I've heard any bad.

guitarmaster said:
Mark IV is a different amp, with different tone (old school).

I'd have to disagree a bit there....the mark4 is currently used by Chevelle and Lamb of God....that's not old school by any means! the mark4 is just a tighter amp. same gain and all, just tighter than a rectifier.

My advice is if you get the Road King don't get the combo... the Road King head alone weighs 75-80lbs which is pretty darn heavy. The combo weighs substantially more (140-150lbs?). The Road King 2x12 cab is around 80lbs too. I'm a pretty strong person and am in great shape and it is still a bear to go up 2 flights of stairs with a 2x12 cab alone.

I would say if you like to play many different types of music go with the Road King II. If you are a Metal or Hard Rock player then you could probably get by with a Recto since you usually aren't too concerned with having a nice sparkly clean with those genres.

Latest posts

Back