Renewed Appreciation for my MkIV Widebody Combo

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MBJunkie

Reaction score
Hey folks,

I just thought I'd share my renewed appreciation for my MkIV widebody combo. I purchased my IV in '96 and admittedly went through a fairly extensive "learning curve" to dial in the amp to my liking back then. Part of that had to do with the fact the manual for the IV really sucked considering all of the excellent features (great sounds) the amp had to offer, and that I pretty much sucked as a guitar player. The MkIV was also my first tube amp so that was another learning experience in itself. In fact, I got so frustrated that I purchased some good rack gear with excellent effects that allowed me to preprogram great footswitchable sounds (and mask my sloppy playing I might add) that I used for several years playing live. This rig actually did work well for me at the time.

However, over the past 10 years or so.....I have become obsessed with plugging my guitar into a nice tube amp with minimal effects and just playing. The good news is that this "forced me" to become a better guitar player....both technically and "touch sensitivity wise" for better dynamic control. During the past 10 years, I have purchased many nice tube amps (Mesa Boogie and others for that matter) which also helped me to become a better guitar player.

Recently, I have "dusted off" my MkIV widebody combo and have been very pleased with the sounds that I get out of the amp. I am connected to this amp moreso than ever before......largely due to having improved as a guitar player over the past 10 years, but also realizing how great of an amp this was / is.....especially considering how long ago it was introduced.

Some complain about Rhythm 1 and 2 (especially Rhy 2), but honestly, I am able to achieve a great clean sound out of R1 and crunch out of R2....just as I did years ago (after learning how to set the amp to my liking). The channel 3 lead channel continues to be one of the very best high gain lead/rhythm sounds that many consider to be the "signature sound" of the IV.

While I prefer my MkV combo over my IV while rehearsing/gigging (mainly for additional useful flexibility and maintaining the ability to obtain great Mark sounds...please no flame wars here as that is not my intent), I very much have a "renewed appreciation" for the greatness of my MkIV! My MkIV Widebody Combo is the oldest amp that I own and is a keeper for life!

I recognize your journey very well.

Now if you want to jump another quantum leap in touch and feel, start playing an acoustic guitar!

:)

Thanks for the responses guys.

Aaronlyon: I started with an acoustic guitar and still play it as well...just not with my band because the other guitar player "exclusively plays acoustic rhythm guitar". While I do agree that playing acoustic guitar can greatly improve chops and technique, I find it more forgiving playing live compared to amplified electric.....mainly due to ease of string muting. String muting while playing high gain rhythm or leads on an electric guitar requires much more technique and finesse than playing live through an acoustic IMO. However, your response has reminded me to not let my acoustic guitars lay lonely too long! :D

dodger916: I am not following your response.....please elaborate! :wink:

MBJunkie said:
Thanks for the responses guys.

Aaronlyon: I started with an acoustic guitar and still play it as well...just not with my band because the other guitar player "exclusively plays acoustic rhythm guitar". While I do agree that playing acoustic guitar can greatly improve chops and technique, I find it more forgiving playing live compared to amplified electric.....mainly due to ease of string muting. String muting while playing high gain rhythm or leads on an electric guitar requires much more technique and finesse than playing live through an acoustic IMO. However, your response has reminded me to not let my acoustic guitars lay lonely too long! :D

dodger916: I am not following your response.....please elaborate! :wink:
You describe a renewed appreciation for your Mark IV as your technique has improved AND you "purified" your signal chain. I'm with you all the way here. I listen for the inherent voice of instrument (and the amp), and for me, the Mark IV masked that a bit, especially compared to a Mark II. I usually tweak the guitar pots more than the amp. Experimenting with vintage preamp tubes (specifically Tung-Sols) provided a more vintage (less modern) voice from my Mark IV, which is what I want. Replacing the STR 440s with 420s and 5881 power tubes softened the amp a bit for me, which I also find desireable. BTW, I always play in Triode and Full Power.

Like you, I find great tones in Rhy 1 and 2, and I find as many good lead tones in Rhy 2 as the Lead channel.

Thanks for the explanation dodger916! Yes, I am sure there are other great sounds possible with the MkIV using alternate tubes. However, for the time being, I am very content with the great sounds I get out of my MkIV with stock tubes.

Thanks for your reply!

Sure Alan, I'll post my setting, but before I do...I want people to understand my renewed appreciation for my MkIV isn't because I recently found some great new settings on the IV.....rather....that I recently fired it up and realized the great amp it was/is even though I hadn't used it in many years. Point being...I didn't change my settings significantly from years past.

Also, I think it is important to note that I use strat style HSS guitars, and play most clean and rhythm sounds in position 4 (between the single coil middle and humbucker bridge pup), but also switch to position 5 (HB only) for some high gain crunch and lead work. My settings are as follows:

Back: Triode, Class A, Reverb set low 2-3 dial number
Front General Settings: Tweed Power, Harmonics selected for Channel 3

R1: Gain - 6 1/2 pulled, Treble - 5, Bass - 3, Mid - 7, Presence - 4, Channel Vol - 4
R2: Gain - 10 pulled, Treble - 9, Bass - 3, Mid - 7, Presence - 4 to 5 pulled, Ch Vol - 3
Lead: Gain - 7.5 - 8 pulled, T-8, B-3, M-6, Drive - 6 to 7 pulled, Pres - 4-5 pulled, Ch Vol - 3

Master Volume set around 2.5.

GEQ footswitchable on-off in all channels: Mild "V Curve"
80: Slider set 50% between center and high lines.
240: Bottom of slider button resting on centerline (i.e. slight boost from center)
750: Slider set approximately 1/4 distance between centerline and lower line
2.2k: Bottom of slider button resting on centerline (i.e. same as 240 setting)
6.6k: Slider set 50% between center and high lines (i.e. same as 80k setting).

With these GEQ settings, I find that I can engage them for nice "boosts" with each of the 3 channels when needed.

Also, I should note that I also experiment with "pentodes, simulclass, full power, etc.) which requires different channel volume settings, but I find my tone controls will stay close to the same....yes, I might tweak a presence setting, but for the most part I keep them the same.

Secondly, if you still don't think you are achieving the crunch sound you want out of R2...push in the presence knob and prepare to reduce the channel volume to keep it balanced with the other 2 channels.

Also, if you wish try pushing in the Ch3 presence knob, but definitely reduce channel volume as well or you will experience a huge volume increase. Not a bad thing...just thought I'd mention it! :lol:

I hope this helps in some way.

A couple other things that I forgot to mention.

1. I am running stock MB 6L6s and MB preamp tubes FWIW. I realize that some of the more recent MkIV's shipped with a combination of 6L6s and EL34s. Not to say that is a bad thing....just wanted to clarify.

2. If my settings are too loud in any of the channels, my recommendation would be to reduce channel volumes before reducing the master volume. IMO, the master volume of the IV needs to be set at 2.5 minimum to start to get the power amp tubes into the sound equation. :lol:

Latest posts

Back