removing recto. tubes?????

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I have a Caparison

Reaction score
well hello everyone. i have a tripl rect. and i read somewhere that people take out like 2 of the power amp tubes in order to get a more cranked tone at a lower volume???? so i removed the 2 6L6's farthest to the right when looking at the back of the amp. well it works. but i was making sure this was ok??? should i remove any of the other types of tubes to balance it out???? i am running it at 8 ohms through a mesa cab. any advice on this?????

First of all taken out tubes is not a good idea, and even if it was posible what tubes did you remove??? The class ab theory split the signal into two signals to be amplified for its phase tubes. Well did you remove the two tubes of the same phase??? or one tube from every phase????

This is possible with the Dual Rec if you take out two power tubes and one rectifier tube. I am pretty sure the Triple Rec cannot do this due to impedence issues.

With the Dual, cutting the power in half also halves the impedance on the output. With the Triple you are only cutting by a third, and since you dont have 6 or 12 ohm outs there will be some mismatch. It wont hurt the amp as long as you compensate by plugging your cab into the next-higher impedance jack on the amp...8 ohm cab into 16 ohm output.

I'm not really sure what you will gain by doing this however. You're only knocking the Triple down to 100 watts - still VERY loud with plenty of headroom. Essentially you have made it into a Dual with an output mismatch. If you are trying to get that "cranked amp" sound at lower vol's, IMO some type of attenuator would be a better bet.

I have a Caparison said:
...so i removed the 2 6L6's farthest to the right when looking at the back of the amp...

Nooooo! The tube pairs are arranged like 1 2 3 3 2 1. Take out the innermost pair (the 3's) and take one of the rectifier tubes out also.

NoGlassNoClass said:
I have a Caparison said:
...so i removed the 2 6L6's farthest to the right when looking at the back of the amp...

Nooooo! The tube pairs are arranged like 1 2 3 3 2 1. Take out the innermost pair (the 3's) and take one of the rectifier tubes out also.

bingo 123321, take outthe inners.

call me crazy, but why do buy a tri rec and want to use it at quiet levels? Defeats the purpose doesent it?

Another thing you can do to get a more cranked sound at lower levels is use a smaller cab, hell a 1x12 even.

Of course, you never mentioned what kind of cab you are running.

Latest posts

Back