Rectoverb drive question.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ab29x

Reaction score
When I play the upper frets, eh, 9+ for instance 11 on 3rd string and 9 on 5th string with 4th string muted. (My brain is so scrambled from work I forget what chord to call this) It almost sounds like clean channel with a lil overdrive from there on up to 21.

My master is about 10 oclock, my Output is about 9oclock.

Why does it lose its 'drive' as I scale higher? I can plug in a SS (Yes Im quite aware they are different and compressed) and instantly get a good drive sound out of a bend or a chord like I mentioned.

Is there something I can supliment the amp with? a pedal of some sort? a mixture? I've only ever played with chorus and delay never anything on the gain channel so Im pretty unknowledgeable in this dept.

Any help is appreciated.

AB29X....the sound shouldn't be "clean" if your gain is set anywhere past say 12:00. The sound will be brighter but it should still retain overdrive. My gut feeling is that there is something wrong with you're amp (tubes??)...if you don't feel this is the case, use either a zakk Wylde ZW-44 overdrive ($85-100 US) or a tubescreamer which will be a little pricier.
BTW - I A/B'd both units and if more gain is what you're looking for the tubescreamer is definitely NOT worth the extra money.

ab29x said:
When I play the upper frets, eh, 9+ for instance 11 on 3rd string and 9 on 5th string with 4th string muted. (My brain is so scrambled from work I forget what chord to call this) It almost sounds like clean channel with a lil overdrive from there on up to 21.

My master is about 10 oclock, my Output is about 9oclock.

Why does it lose its 'drive' as I scale higher? I can plug in a SS (Yes Im quite aware they are different and compressed) and instantly get a good drive sound out of a bend or a chord like I mentioned.

Is there something I can supliment the amp with? a pedal of some sort? a mixture? I've only ever played with chorus and delay never anything on the gain channel so Im pretty unknowledgeable in this dept.

Any help is appreciated.

TheRazMeister said:
AB29X....the sound shouldn't be "clean" if your gain is set anywhere past say 12:00. The sound will be brighter but it should still retain overdrive. My gut feeling is that there is something wrong with you're amp (tubes??)...if you don't feel this is the case, use either a zakk Wylde ZW-44 overdrive ($85-100 US) or a tubescreamer which will be a little pricier.
BTW - I A/B'd both units and if more gain is what you're looking for the tubescreamer is definitely NOT worth the extra money.

Gain is at about 2:30. I've never really had a problem with the tubes to be honest. Mmmm. drive on the lower frets is fine. Its sorta mmmm like more of a whistle then a driven sound. if I wah it, it sounds a lot better.

I'd record it but no recording software and a 5.00 mic wont cut it.

Almost like playing a xylophone(sp).

I just want it to be comprable to a SS on the high frets. I hear songs and I know they're rectos ala alter bridge, creed, corrorsion of conformity. and I can't for the life of me figure out how to make it sound that way. Heard em live too..

Edit: I take that back I have a digital camera that can record clear enough for a few 10 sec clips if you wouldnt mind pointing me to a free mpg hosting site and taking a few min of your time to listen.

I'm not quite understanding the problem here? Your amps not losing drive as you scale higher on the fretboard? Maybe it's the fact that your not playing chords up higher? Instead, your using octaves and single notes!

jbird said:
I'm not quite understanding the problem here? Your amps not losing drive as you scale higher on the fretboard? Maybe it's the fact that your not playing chords up higher? Instead, your using octaves and single notes!

Yes it's losing the drive sound. Yes Im playing octaves and single notes. None the less it should be as ringy, and single note bends should scream not whistle. Soloing uses a lot of single notes. obviously. None of this is any different than what others do on a guitar and still get a sweet driven sound. It's just frustrating for me. Like I said if someone can give me a link to a free mpg hosting site. I'll put up a few very small clips that will make everything very clear if any of you dont mind taking a few min to listen.

I've got the same amp, and I haven't had that problem. Maybe, if not the amp, it's the guitar? The action could be too low, and you're fretting out. If adding the wah or a drive helps, that wouldn't be it, though. I think something's wrong with the amp.

db said:
I've got the same amp, and I haven't had that problem. Maybe, if not the amp, it's the guitar? The action could be too low, and you're fretting out. If adding the wah or a drive helps, that wouldn't be it, though. I think something's wrong with the amp.

ya wouldn't happen to have a straight to amp recording I could listen to?

No, not at the moment. But I will try to do one later in the day for you. I think, although I haven't done this yet, you can download short MP3 clips to soundclick.com for free.

db said:
No, not at the moment. But I will try to do one later in the day for you. I think, although I haven't done this yet, you can download short MP3 clips to soundclick.com for free.

Great thanks. I would really appreciate that. hopefully they'll host mpegs.

Haven't had a chance to make those clips--my house was put on the market Friday evening, so we've had to stay out of the way of prospective buyers this weekend.

I did play my ROV last night briefly. I think I know what you are experiencing, if it is normal and not a problem with the amp. Since it's a two channel amp, if you set up your gain channel for a metal/hard rock rhythm that's not too over-the-top distorted, when you solo (even if you hit the solo boost button, which only increased volume, not gain) you won't get that "shredder" style tone for ultra-high gain soloing. I personally don't like that tone, so it has never bothered me. But I'll makes some basic clips to see if what you are hearing is normal.

If it is a normal situation, the solution would be an overdrive or distortion pedal (or fuzz pedal, which is what I use) that you kick-on if you want to solo. Another option is a three channel amp, like a Dual Rec., where the third channel is set up for soloing. A third option would be to set up your hi-gain channel for soloing, then roll back the volume knob on your guitar slightly for rhythm work.

Back