Rect-O-Verb or Dual Rectifier?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manwithnoname

Reaction score
Hello Again!

I went to my MESA dealer and tried multiple amps, and narrowed it down to a decision between 2 amps:

The Rect-O-Verb Combo
Dual Rectifier 3 Channel

Overall I preferred the Rect-O-Verb combo to the Dual Rectifier, but I’m hoping to get some feedback on the following questions/concerns:

1)The R.O.V. was plenty loud, and I got some awesome tones out of it at low volumes. At the same volumes, the DR sounded muddy on channels 1 and 2, and a little sharp on channel 3. The clean/pushed on the ROV sounded perfect (for me) and the distortion also sounded amazing. Does this seem consistent with what others have heard? The D.R. was connected to a 2x12 Mesa cab with Vintage 30’s and the ROV had the single Black Shadow- which leads to the next question-->

2)Does it seem plausible that the D.R. would sound clearer/tighter through a 2X12 cab with dual Black Shadows or is the voicing of the ROV just different?

3)In regards to volume, is the D.R. overkill for a garage band situation? If I am not going to get the great tone out of a D.R. unless it is turned up loud enough, would it be better to stick with the ROV – which has my ideal tones at lower volumes?

4)Is it possible to get the D.R’s Channel 2 or 3 to sound exactly like the channel 2 of the ROV? My thinking was that I could get a DR and have all the sounds of the ROV (aside from Reverb of course) but with one extra channel.

5)Last question: Has anyone played an ROV head through a 2x12 with Vintage 30’s to compare it to the sound that comes out of the 1X12 combo? I am considering getting the head and connecting it to my existing 2x12.

I had the exact same ROV years ago, and stupidly switched amps 3 or 4 times, and now am back at the ROV finding myself amazed by it- I was much more comfortable playing the ROV as compared to all other Mesa’s, so I think it is what I will go with, but any feedback will help me greatly.

Thanks for your time!

I just always felt, for any band situation, you'd need more than one 12" speaker to move some air! So, whatever your choice, I'd recommend a head and at least a 2/12 cab!

Thanks for the response!

I still have a nice closed-back Randall 2x12 with some Custom Neodymium speakers in it that I plan on connecting the Rect-0-verb to (If I get the combo, I will only connect one of the speakers). Part of me wondering about the Black Shadow is because I am considering just getting the ROV head and putting it on my current Cab, but I don't want to lose out on the awesome sounds I heard from the combo.

Can the Trem-O-Verb run at 50 Watts, and more importantly, can it be found New anywhere, or would I need to get something off of Ebay? The Trem-O-Verb was definitely on my list of wants, but figured it would be too hard to find a new one.

Thanks!

Seems that maybe the Rectoverb Head might be the way to go. If you like the tones from the combo...the head and a nice 2x12 cab would be one better. Although this may spawn some discussion, the Dual, and the Rectoverb are 2 totally different animals. Same voicing arguably, but the rectoverb is warmer and more usable at lower volumes...AND pleanty loud for any band or live situation. I have a single recto head, which is basically the rectoverb minus the reverb....and different cosmetics....but that thing pushes my recto 4x12 cab pleanty.
Make sure you try everything. You'll find what you want.
Hum

manwithnoname said:
Can the Trem-O-Verb run at 50 Watts, and more importantly, can it be found New anywhere, or would I need to get something off of Ebay? The Trem-O-Verb was definitely on my list of wants, but figured it would be too hard to find a new one.

Thanks!

Not new, and yes, they are difficult to find.

get a rectoverb combo with mesa a 3/4 back 2x12 cab(3 C-90's total) plug the internal speaker and extension cab in the 4 ohm jacks and your sound will beat the hell out of just the combo.

I have Dual Rectifier and have had a very, very hard time getting reverb to sound right. I have tried many low and high-end units and have had no luck. So, without going through all my trials with the DR, I recommed factory reverb for any Mesa and suggest you go with the Rectoverb. If you don't, at least try out the Rectifier at the store with some reverb units before you buy it.

Latest posts

Back