Recommend an Alnico Spkr for Mesa Lonestar Special

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAZZGEAR

Reaction score
I have a LSS on the way (have had the amp before...but didn't care for the stock speaker) and would like to put an alnico speaker in there.

I've considered the following:

1. Celestion Gold (50 watts) -- seems like the perfect wattage
2. Weber Blue - (30 - 50 watts?)
3. Scumnico - (65 watts)

I have no experience with any of the above speakers (other than the celestion blue in a Vox amp)...only clips I've heard online.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Can't help you with Alnico specifically, but I like my LSC's 50w Blue Dog Ceramic a lot.
Very crisp and punchy; I understand Webers tend to be accurate-to-unforgiving, and there's an element of that with the Blue Dog in that it's very articulate and relatively flat across the frequency spectrum. But it works well with the LSC; it dries up a lot of the low-end looseness and gives the bass more definition. It isn't shrill by any means, just has a lot of pop.
Go with the higher wattage, it will sound fuller at lower volumes.

I have Celestion Blues in an open backed 2x12 cab and my LSS sure came alive after I started using them. Great match for a Lonestar.

if you are going for a one 12 speaker i would say the gold but for a 2x12 i would go for the celestion blues that's what they recommend for class A amps the golds do have a lower bass range than the blues

JAZZGEAR said:
I have a LSS on the way (have had the amp before...but didn't care for the stock speaker) and would like to put an alnico speaker in there.

I've considered the following:

1. Celestion Gold (50 watts) -- seems like the perfect wattage
2. Weber Blue - (30 - 50 watts?)
3. Scumnico - (65 watts)

I have no experience with any of the above speakers (other than the celestion blue in a Vox amp)...only clips I've heard online.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
What don't you like about the C90, and what tone are you going after? Knowing these will help you in the right direction.

I put 2 Golds in my 2x12. Luv it! Sweet tones, great range, and just has intangibles that I find more pleasing to the ear that the C90's.

Just out of curiosity...

Is putting an Alnico speaker in mostly about improving the clean tone? Most threads I've read on this that seems to be the primary focus... always wondered what they did to the tone of the lead channel?

screamingdaisy said:
Just out of curiosity...
Is putting an Alnico speaker in mostly about improving the clean tone? Most threads I've read on this that seems to be the primary focus... always wondered what they did to the tone of the lead channel?

Depends on what you meant by 'improving'. I'm talking about the Gold and Blue since I have no exposure to other Alnico. The Blue is a very efficient speaker so it's loud and it breakups very soon. What I like is when it breakup the high is compressed in level relative to other frequency so it is not 'ice-picking' or ear-piercing. Some may called this 'smooth' and you can play at loud level w/o ear fatigue. The Gold has more headroom, it breakups later so you can play clean a little louder, once breakup, it is similar to the Blue. However both have less clean headroom and less bright than the C90, so you'll get less clean and more dirt overall. So these Alnico is about the crunch tone, and overall they have a very 'warm' and smooth midrange. If you're looking for more sweet and clean headroom like the old Fender, these might not be for you.

Yeah, I actually noticed the biggest difference in Channel two with the Blues. Like the last post stated, they aren't clean when pushed but they have this great 'sizzle' for lack of a better term that is really detailed and complex.

Also, I find the Blues have a nice, prominent upper mid-range that really complements the low mid thing that the LSS has going on. After I started using the Blues, I found I cut through better in a band situation. (Not to mention they are an efficient, loud speaker).

Gentlemen,
Just a couple of quick notes. I haven't been very active, but I have watched the threads concerning speakers lately and want to help by clearing up a few misconceptions.

Headroom.
Headroom is not a design element of the speaker. Headroom is the threshhold or point above your current volume level where the amplifier is capable of reproducing the input signal without clipping. Instantaneous peaks in output can and will push the amplifiers output to as much as twice it's rated power. If you are playing into a 100 watt amplifier and using 50 watts of power, then by design you still have 50 watts of headroom available. So, unless the preamplifier stage of the amplifier is producing a distorted signal then the output should never distort. If you are pushing the amplifier to 70 watts output you have decreased your available headroom to 30 watts and you will begin to here the clipping with louder passages depending on your style.

Speaker ratings.

All speakers are not rated equally. JBLs ratings are continuous power for 100 hours equals RMS rating. Program power is the rating of the speaker for very short periods of time, peak is a rating for a few seconds. Most manufacturers rate their speakers in a similar way, although I don't know of any other manufacturers who drive their speakers for 100 hours before rating them.

Regardless, any speaker should handle it's rated output indefinately, or at least for four hours. Now if you rememebr what I said above about amplifiers you'll also understand that even a 50 watt amplifier can destroy a 50 watt speaker with it's 100 watt peaks. It only depends on how long those peaks are sustained. So, if you destroy a speaker rated at 90 watts you have driven that speaker past it's rating far too long, created enough heat to damage the voice coil, or driven the speakers well past it's Xmax/Xmech rating.

WEBER speakers.

I have replaced all of my speakers with either JBL, celestion and Weber speakers. They include JBL D120F, Weber Calaifornia, Weber Blue Dog, Celestion Vintage 30. All are 50 watt or better and all have a unique sound which I have described in the past. My road cabinets are ALL D120 or California. I have one extenion cabinet that currently has a Celestion Vintage 30 in it. I like the low/mid range of this speaker and use it beside or under my D120's only because the it adds low end and for no other reason. If I had to choose a strictly blues/rock speaker it would still be the D120 or California with a very close second to the Blue Dog. I could be very happy with any of those three.

ICE PICKING.

Actually not a term, but the description for cone cry. Cone cry is a condition that occurs when the cone is out of control. Cone cry is always heard as a high frequency first, hence the term ice pick. Cone cry can be controlled by doping the edge of the cone or by placing ribs in the cone. Cone cry is can also be the result of a poorly designed motor assembly. All speakers are capable of cone cry. JBL eliminated cone cry in the D120 by doping the edge, rounding the cone, and by making the cone shallower. ALNICO speakers can develop cone cry as the magnet weakens. Cone cry is always sensed as an unpleasant high frequency artifact whose harmonics do not add to the note(s) being played. Beam blockers DO NOT eliminate cone cry.

Have fun, shop wisely.

Hi All,
I was using a Ref Fang with the LSS,
Seemed to mate well with the El84's Nice chime, nice bottom end.
Seemed like a happy fit.
Steve

Latest posts

Back