Recollection (mark2b- direct and mic, guitar instrumental)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gonzo

Reaction score
Recollection

i'm in the middle of remixes and mastering for a new album i'm putting out soon....
and need a break from it.
so,

i broke this one out.

a bunch of guitar parts all over this one, i'm re-working the drum kit, and experimenting with the mix of guitar mics:

on the melody/solo guitars, i used combinations of DI (Palmer pdi-09) and room mics (ADK Hamburg), and blended them in a half dozen different ways, to experiment with positioning guitar parts in the stereo field using the room mic as a hard pan (mostely) and moving the panning of the DI part to create some 3d effects.

if you listen to this in the cans, it is easier to hear the effect.

would love to know if that effect is translating........

http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/31297-RECOLLECT-VER3-10-28-10.mp3

Sounds good gonzo. On our album, our producer was dead set on using hard panned stereo for the guitars but listening to the pre-mixes in a car, not the monitors or phones, it sounded like the stereo field was miles apart and the guitar harmonies wouldn't come through at all, so I had to talk him into blending them so it didn't sound like our guitars weren't on opposite sides of a room, and you felt more surrounded by the music. Your mix sounds pretty good, especially when the effects kicks in, which is what you were going for (I guess). I love stereo panning instead of overtracking everything to death, it makes the mix feel more alive. The effect is certainly translating. Sorta Eddie Kramer-eque, but not so obvious like a wild univibe or phaser. Dunno if that's what you were going for...

Btw, I like your bass tone...could use a little more of it to accent that kick :wink:

recrig1.jpg

sonic-

thanks for checking it out.

you know, there are so many ways of mixing, in terms of panning...
and certain arrangments lend themselve to it, and some don't.
i guess the 'art' in it, is in making the right call.

remixed, last night...
found a great plate reverb to use, to warm up the direct parts, that makes it sit so much nicer.
i moved a great deal of the panning around, that REALLY effects the way the room mic interacts with the location of the sound.

brought the bass up, as well as re-eq'ed it a bit, to bring out 400 and 800 hz, that, against the L2 on the bass buss, really worked.

changed the snare sound. like it much better now....
easy to do, using Superior Drummer 2.3

i've been building about 5 custom kits inside superior, and i'm starting to whittle that down to 3. the new kit sound i have in the mix now, uses the updated kit.

still havn't messed with the "X-drums" yet, i think that's the most powerful thing that SD offers......
i'll get to that next.

i want to approximate the sound of the kit that Rundgren used on his "TODD" album.......

the leslie guitar, is using a Fulltone MiniDejavibe.
it's a great pedal.

i'll post an updated mix, if there's enough interest.

NICE!

What a big difference! That sounds so much fuller now. The bass fills out the kick and drums more and the effects sound more spatious!

Kudos, man.

gonzo....can any of your cd's or your music be downloaded or purchased? i went to the myspace link and I cant figure out how to actually get your music to a cd i could have in my car etc......

hey masque!

glad you dig this one

it was fun to do..... i had an empty downstairs apt. to use, set up the amps, and let it fly.

downloads/

well, if you right click on the blue bar in the player, you can 'save as' and download the mp3 directly.

as far as downloads and purchase...
the record label i was signed to, went tits up a year or so ago....
i have the gold master to the "Trouble" album, PM me and i'll give you info.

meanwhile

i'm almost done with the mastering on the new album, and that will be up on CDBABY and Itunes i hope, by the end of november.

i'll send you a email when it's available

after i get that one up, i'll re-release the first album on cdbaby as well, probably as digital, and then i'll release an all instrumental album after that.

Latest posts

Back