Quiet DC-5

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpistolas

Reaction score
My DC has been on the shelf for a bit. Got a new amp some time ago and just haven't played it. That said, I plugged it in the same cabinet and speaker cable and the volume is all but gone. The clean channel is nearly silent and the gain channel sounds good just super super quiet. Tried a new set of matched 6l6's and gave it a try again. Same result. This time I noticed the tubes looked unusually bright and hotter than usual.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

I forgot to add I tried different speaker cables and a different cab. Granted, all worked fine on my other head.

My 2c.
I've had the same issue with other amps that have been sitting a while. Get a can of contact cleaner and carefully go to town on all the pots. Spray a dab inside the pot to get the sweeper wet and run the knob back and forth all the way several times. It could be as simple as a little oxidation and crud getting between the wiper and the resistor. If you wanna *carefully* do this while the amp is running you should get a lot of noise but a good idea of progress. And yeah, also spray down any mechanical connections like the cable jacks.

Ditto on cleaning the jacks. I guess the switches inside cause some issues. Mine were the fx jacks that fixed it. but all the jacks get some maintenance ever since.

Hope it helps

Mac

Thanks much for the suggestions. As it turned out there was a bad solder joint and one really bad tube. Reworked the solder joint and replaced both tubes with matched JJ's. The Beast is back normal and then some!

Latest posts

Back