Problems with my new F-50

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hhcave

Reaction score
Hi,

I bought my F-50 head (and Marshall TSL212 cab) yesterday but whenever i play and immediately mute the strings (with no reverb) there is this metallic sounding chime which shouldn't be...

Does anyone know what the problem may be?

Thanks

hhcave said:
Hi,

I bought my F-50 head (and Marshall TSL212 cab) yesterday but whenever i play and immediately mute the strings (with no reverb) there is this metallic sounding chime which shouldn't be...

Does anyone know what the problem may be?

Thanks

try to check the metal-covers around the preamp tubes. maybe they are loose. rmember my own f30 did that. as i recall, that was the problem. never had the problem since.

A rattling tube shield is a definite possibility. Check the retainers on the power tubes as well. Another thing to check for is a loose speaker mounting nut in your cabinet.

If it isn't any of those, it might be a microphonic tube. To check for that, take the shields off of the preamp tubes, turn the amp on, and tap lightly on each one with your fingernail or a pencil eraser. It's normal to hear your tapping through the speaker when you do this, but if a tube is too microphonic, the tapping will cause a ringing sound or, in extreme cases, the tube will go into oscillation. Any microphonic tubes should be replaced. You could check the power tubes for this as well (be careful of the heat), but it is unlikely that they will have this problem.

Ah okay thanks alot for the helpful replies, i'll try sort it out later when i have time!

Tube rattle would be the first thing to check but if you isolated the head from the cab you should be able to tell very quickly if thats it.

Make sure its not coming from your guitar. I had a guitar that would pick up weird noises from the strings rattling around the headstock area. I put some foam in between the strings to dampen the vibrations and the noise went away.

Hmm its not the guitar, because i was playing the guitar with another amp earlier and it worked fine... im going to bring the amp to the tech and see if he can fix it

Congrats on the F-50 and cab. I have the same rig! I also have a Marshall JCM 2000 TSL 602 that I am getting a Mercury OT/Choke mod done this week. I think I am finally done with amps. I love the tone in both.

:) RRR

Latest posts

Back