princeton Boogie

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mesanomad100

Reaction score
got yah all,Bet yah thought I was gonna post one,no but has anyone else got one,pics,soundclips,I want to see a real one(well a cyber one thats proves they are real)
cheers folk

Euan

Pboost.jpg

Like Ian, over at the Boogie Files, I had the opportunity to talk to Richard Ray while he was alive and he had a few of them. Richard was an inspiration to me and is one of the reasons I invested the time necessary to learn in depth everything I could about the IIC+, which was also one of Rich's favorites.

I know that Jorge Santana still owns his old Princeton Boogie..
And I think Barry Melton (Country Joe and the Fish) has got his old one too.

I would also like to know how they sounded.

Some people have old me that Mick Taylor used one for the "Cant you hear me knockin" end jam, but other (including Taylor himself) states that they only used Twin Reverbs for that album.

Boogiebabies said:
Notice the harwoods in the back ground. Rich had a stack that was 10ft high and I swear it was 30ft wide of Boogie combo's. Mostly Hard Woods.

Dude, you are the man!!! I just tried like hell to buy that MkIVB combo off the guy from down there in Locust but he would never return my emails or call me or anything. Too bad his auction ended with no bids. Maybe a little fishy???? I was gonna get in touch and bring it by. Would dig seeing your collection.

Hi there,

I would like to say hi to all, as it's my first post on this forum
I am trying to write down the story abouth the Mesa/Boogie company for one of the guitar forums in my native country...
I would be realy happy if you guys can explain me some things, like the different type of the speakers mounted in the Princeton Boogie, and how long they were in production?

I have seen two types of 12" speaker
from JBL, and Altec, is there any reason like year of modification, or other reasons?

Cheers

I'm not 100% sure yet but this seems like its a VERY early or prototype 1972? princeton reverb-boogie... the chassis has Randall Smith inked stamped inside and also on the back by the serial number...BIG trannies, BIG speaker etc etc...

try this link for pics...

http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y159/tweedman/PR%20Boogie/

WAS on ebay... what do you think it is? its old as heck thats for sure... a personal amp maybe?... who knows i guess...
cheers

tweedaddict said:
WAS on ebay... what do you think it is? its old as heck thats for sure... a personal amp maybe?... who knows i guess...
cheers

I'm not the Boogie guru, that's for shure ;) Looks like moded Fender Princeton Reverb, but... any beter shots?

here ya go:

"Up for auction here is what I believe to be one really rare amp. I took it to Frankie Moates of Atlanta Vintage Guitars and he and I believe it to be a 1972 Prune Boogie or Princeton Boost. please call him if you have any questions. I'm sure many of you have more knowledge of how Mesa boogie came to start but I will briefly tell the story. Please do a search for "princeton boost or prune boogie and you will see all the refrences to the story and learn more about these amps.

R. Smith of Mesa started "moding" Fender Princeton Reverbs in the early 70's by replaing the 10 inch speaker with a 12 inch Electro-voice and added larger transformers which gave the amp a lot more punch and power. These hot rodded amps ended up in the hands of Santana, Clapton and many others.

The amp I am selling has the codes 606215 (15th week of 1972) and a serial number of A27155(1972). it also has Randall Smith stamped on the back near the serial number.It has a vintage Electro-Voice SRO12 8 Om this speaker appears in many of the early Princeton Boosts. This speaker alone is worth $100-200. It has the 2 larger transformers and a Master volume pull pot that REALLY makes it sing. The cab does have some scrapes and scars but nothing that affects the playability or sound. The reverb works great ! The tolex has 4 hole in it from some screws that were installed at some time. Please view the pictures and ask questions if you have them"

tweedaddict said:
R. Smith of Mesa started "moding" Fender Princeton Reverbs in the early 70's

End of 60's - 1969 link - http://dane.lauda-audio.pl/firmy/3892/history2.pdf

by replaing the 10 inch speaker with a 12 inch Electro-voice

I found info of JBL D-120, Altec-Lansing 417-8H, nothing abouth EV speakers :/
http://www.musicianshotline.com/archive/interviews/mesaboogie_rsmith.htm
http://homepage.mac.com/mesaboogie/Boost.htm

I've been doing research on the Princeton I have and believe it or not, I have the ones that were in the tweedman photos - I didn't get it from eBay but from another musician friend of mine - can you help me research this back to the listing?

I've got more photos if anyone wants to see more - it matches up to that description down to the S/N!

Help, anyone!!!

Latest posts

Back