POWER CONDITIONERS?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peter

Reaction score
I have read that many power supplys can mess with your tone and make your amp's tone lose definiton and become muddy sounding. Does anyone here use a Power conditioner? I'm looking at a Furman Power Factor Pro.
thanks for reading

O.K., I'll tell you what I know. I have a Power Factor Pro rack model and the guy at Furman I spoke to was really helpful. He said that amps need continuous amperage (duh), which the PF Pro provides. On the other hand, digital gear needs regulated voltage, which is provided best by a line regulator. So, I have a PF Pro in the rack that my amp plugs into and a Line Regulator, Furman AR Series II, for my PA rack that contains the digital gear.

I was using the Furman PL8-Plus power conditioners for a long time, because that was what I could afford. They are a great place to start and will provide you with some protection and have some outlets. However, the Power Factor Pro is the next step up...still under $300 I believe and actually creates a little 4 amp buffer, in case there is a dip in the available power. This is key in clubs that have a questionable power source. You will be more assured that your amp is getting the amperage it needs to perform best. It also has a cool rear light so you can see what the hell is going on in the back of the rack without a flashlight :D

Hope this helps, good luck with your rig!

I hooked a "noise sniffer" to a Furman power conditioner and it came back with some noise. It was reduced but there was some noise none-the-less. I hooked it up to a Monster power conditioner (see sig) and the noise read as a big fat 0! They are a little more expensive but they do what they are supposed to do completely. I think people just get Furmans because that is what everyone else gets.

richey said:
I hooked a "noise sniffer" to a Furman power conditioner and it came back with some noise. It was reduced but there was some noise none-the-less. I hooked it up to a Monster power conditioner (see sig) and the noise read as a big fat 0! They are a little more expensive but they do what they are supposed to do completely. I think people just get Furmans because that is what everyone else gets.

I have heard that this is true... I have the Monster Power PRO 2500 Rack PowerCenter and it has worked great. I even was able to use it when there was a 'brown out' in my neighborhood. The reduced the voltage from 120 to 60 and I was able to monitor the voltage until it was back to normal before plugging back in.

My only complaint is that the XLR lamp connection is on the front, but not the back. In my experience, the back of my rack is where there is little or no light. I solved this problem by plugging this Night Light into one of the power sockets: Maxxima MLN-10 LED Night Light The rotating head on the night light lets me put the light where I need it.

rabies said:
I just bought Monster Power PRO 2500 Rack PowerCenter and will be installing it into a 3 space shallow rack with my JMP-1. I'm wondering if the 900 model is good enough @ $100 less?? no voltage LCD though. we'll see...

That all you need right there. Monster makes the best power conditioners. Period.

I like my Samson Powerbrite Pro 7 fine and thinking about getting the updated Samson Powerbrite Pro 15 for another shallow rack.

I just got a PL-8 and it seems to me that it actually introduced some hum. I thought it was suppose to get rid of noise? Anyone have any ideas?

Brought back the PL-8. The guys at GC recommended the Monster pro 2500. All I have to say is it works. You can also tell the difference in workmanship between the Monster and Furman. The Monster is built like a tank. Oh, and no noise.

Thanks for all the useful information. I have been looking for a power conditioner since I noticed some differences in the performance of my Roadster from location to location. I had been considering Furman but after reading your posts I decided to go with the Monster Power Pro 2500. I got one on Ebay brand new for 149.99 + 9.99 shipping. Is this a good price? I saw another seller on ebay selling for 199.99.

i was already to buy a furman power factor pro but after reading about the monster pro 2500. i have a lss and when the power drops it sounds lifeless and the bass drops off. this amp is night and day depending on the power.will the monster 2500 regulate the voltage the amps getting as well as cleaning up the noise

joe.h said:
i was already to buy a furman power factor pro but after reading about the monster pro 2500. I have a lss and when the power drops it sounds lifeless and the bass drops off. this amp is night and day depending on the power.will the monster 2500 regulate the voltage the amps getting as well as cleaning up the noise

No, it won't...You will need a voltage regulator for that...I'm not sure if Monster makes one, I hope they do, but I have a Furman voltage regulator and I never have to worry about stinking power in any club, ever again :D

I'm considering buying a new power bar/surge protector for my pedal board but i'm really not into paying a whole bunch of money for one at this point so Furman and Monster are out of the question.

I looked around in a few hardware stores and noticed that some have a feature called 'EMI/RFI Filtering' - would that reduce any noise that's in my signal?

Latest posts

Back