Post removed.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whatever you do, never, ever try to change strings on a guitar equipped with a Floyd Rose...
Your poor head will explode!

You're cursed with a good ear! Have you tried sweetened tunings or a compensated nut like Earvana?

Also, if you're using very light guage strings, you might be too heavy handed, playing the guitar out of tune. Try playing lighter or using heavier guage strings.

What kind of tuner are you using? If it's not a Peterson, you're wasting your time. Peterson's strobe tuners are accurate to 1/100 of a cent. and have the ability to shift tuning centers and programs. It has "sweetened" settings for every imaginable situation including Buzz Feiten's system. Go to their website to be enlightened and hear what you've been missing.

Other than (purposely) crooked frets, nothing will make a guitar play "perfectly" in tune. Notice how each string is a different length. Now imagine that the distance between individual frets on individual strings would need to be different as well!

You can really only sweeten it so that everything sounds better.

The sweetened tunings on a Peterson or other modern tuner might help. A compensated nut is a bit closer to a solution, but it can never really be perfect.

BTW, there are guitars available with crooked or even fanned frets. They're weird and expensive!

Don said:
Other than (purposely) crooked frets, nothing will make a guitar play "perfectly" in tune.

When the luthier building the guitar puts the frets in, they technically ruin the instrument. Deal with it, or learn to play fretless

I'm not as fussy as you (it's only rock and roll, right?), but I think I'll try that myself. I wonder how it compares to the sweetened guitar tuning in my Peterson?

The problem is the piano,its a known fact that guitar and piano dont like each other, a lot of synths have a preset for lack of a better word for dealing with guitar.Synthesizers are the only instrument in the world that play EVERYTHING in tune,so no natural instrument will truly stay in tune with it.

Koprofag said:
Boss TU-2. :oops: The virtual tuner in Amplitube feels faster and a lot more accurate, though. It actually gives a percentage rather than just limited amounts of forgiving LEDs. But I doubt that's the main problem as I use the same tuner(s) for other instruments.

A compensated nut sounds interesting. Does it make the frets PERFECT or will the G in a G chord still sound out of tune? That has to be the most common yet hardest chord to get to sound right. And it gets even worse on acoustics. :lol:

Nothing wrong with a TU2 mate, set that standard for a long time! I cant imagine trying to tune to +/- 1 cent on stage, what a nightmare, just crank it and drown the piano into next week.

Latest posts

Back