Possiable change from TriA/2:90 to Roadster?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevetgn

Reaction score
I've been using my TriAxis and 2:90 for over 10 years now but have recently been playing around with a Roadster. Although I can't quiet get my prefered "MK IV" type lead solo tone the amp seems to have much more "whack" and impact than a rack system for all sounds, clean, crunch, bluesy, full rock or solos etc. What's everyone's thoughts on me changing to the Roadster? What's everyone's experience of both bits of gear? Has anyone compared both systems?

Any comments or advice welcome.

Thanks in advance

Steve

I don't have nor played a Roadster, but do have the same TA/2:90 setup as you and have a RK II on Order. I have considered selling the rack setup but, in the past I have come to miss it and ended up paying more to re-purchase.

I like the TA/2:90 for those MKIV tones, which I, under much trial and error believe I've mastered to 99.9999% likeness, enough so that I sold my Mark IV.

My thing now is if I sell my rack setup, I will lose all those wonderful Mark tones I love. I will not repeat the mistaks of the past.

I am going to gig both my rack setup and RK II (not concurrently of course). If I am happy with the tones from the RK II alone then I may consider selling the rack setup, but my gut tells me I will keep both.

Between the rack and the RK II, I believe I will have all of the Mesa tones covered (Oh and I have an LSS too).

My recommendation is not to sell the rack setup and gig both the amp and the rack to make sure the other satisfies the tones you have in your head. Then sell once you've achieved it.

That is of course, unless you need to sell one to finance the other.

For me, I've sold and re-purchased my rack at least 5 times in the last 15 years, so I pretty certain that the RK II and my rack will be buried with me some day in the very distant future. :wink:

I had a Triaxis with the 2:Fifty amp and replaced them with the Road King II. I am very happy with the change. I wasn't able to get the heavy recto tones from my rack setup, and now my cleans are even better sounding, too. So while I don't have real Mark II/III tones, I'm perfectly happy as the RK (and Roadster) are incredibly versatile sounding.

"I wasn't able to get the heavy recto tones from my rack setup"

I honestly believe you would have gotten alot closer had you paired the TA with the 2:90 vice the 50/50 and if your TA didn't have the Phat Mod. I had Mesa Boogie back out of the Phat MOD on my TA and I believe it is much closer to RECTO tones this way.

IMHO neither the 50/50 or 20/20 sound anything like the 2:90 paired with the TA. I've all of those amps in the past. The 2:90 is the soul mate for the TA.

I have Roadster head with Mesa 4x12 oversize for 6 months now, and really you can play every thing with this amp. I play guitar since 1967 and it is my best and my last amp ever. I put OD in front and TC G-Sharp in loop, that's it that's all !!!

I used to have that same setup, however my complaint was always........the Triaxis/290 simply did not 'feel' like a real guitar amp as it's attack was too soft. Years later I changed the 2:90 out for a 2:100 Recto power amp. MUCH BETTER. I did however have to change the eq on the Triaxis with the treble set quite low and run the presence on the 2:00 basically all the way off. BUT, what a change. That rig had the most control/amp feel and sounds of any rig I had ever had.
Take you Triaxis, or better yet, just go to a local dealer and hook up a Tri/2:100 into a pair of recto cabs (with C90's, not the new V30's) and check it out. You will be amazed. I guarantee it.

"I used to have that same setup, however my complaint was always........the Triaxis/290 simply did not 'feel' like a real guitar amp as it's attack was too soft."

I've had the 2:90/TA setup for nearly 10 years now and I would say the the above statement is not true in my case. I will admit that initially it was a challenge to get it to sound like my Mark IV. But I recently sold my Mark IV because it is redundant now that my rig sounds just like the Mark IV.

One thing, I rarely if ever perform live with it in Stereo. I use my Gforce to Sum the L/R outputs so that I come out in Mono. I use a Keeley Compressor up front and I guarantee you have all the attack you can ever need....and I guarantee that no one with their eyes closed would say that the sound could not be from a combo (or the Mark IV in this case).

The TA was made for the 2:90 as the Recto Pre was made and voiced for the 2:100 amp.

If it's Recto tones you're after, then you should use the recto pre/2:100, but if its the Mark Tones, then 2:90/TA is what the Dr. ordered.

Latest posts

Back