Played Carvin CT-4

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fdesalvo

Reaction score
Holy Crap, I can't believe how impressed I am with this thing. I'v always been leary of Carvin products, but I just played 3 of them for about an hour at the Carvin Store in Santa Ana, CA. Dudes, I am not exaggerrating when I tell you these things are on the same level of playability as PRS in the late 80-early 90's.

Thanks for the post!

I've always wondered about Carvin. They look beautiful but I've always wondered how the sound & playability was. Maybe I'm better off "not" having access. I told my wife that I was "done buying". :wink:

Ha, here's a more thorough review:

I work in Santa Ana, CA and pass the Carvin outlet everyday on my way to the office. I just returned from that store where I spent my lunch break. There, I played several CT4s and even a Holdsworth- Holy hell! THat neck is flatter than a 2x4!

Anyway, I am thouroughly impressed with the tone and craftsmanship of the CT4s I demoed today. Some of them had very minor flaws- the sort you'd find on PRSs and the like and the sort Gibson wished they had (ask me how I know :cry: ).

Ahh, I played on with a beautifully figured bird's eye maple board and one with a rosewood board- which was suprisingly smooth and free of open grain. Seriously, both boards felt powdery smooth and flawless. I'd go so far as to say that you could go ahead and make your choice based on the aesthetics alone- the feel and tone of all are perfect. The fretwork was also really good!

The necks have a sweet rolled edge and feel broken in already and the shape of the back is just right- a soft "c" for that familiar feel. The tuners are nice. One complaint would be that the locking knobs are rather narrow and sharp, but it's really a trivial complaint and not even worth mentioning.

The guitars were relatively light and very resonant. The switches operated with firm, positive throws- like my MR2, haha :D . And the pots and pull switch operated similarly.

I was able to get any tone I wanted short of authentic strat quack or tele twang, but the variety was so usable I didn't feel handicapped at all.

I am very impressed- and I am one very critical guy. This will be my next guitar and I will order it from the store directly. This way, I can communicate with the sales associate face to face and there is that level of accountability that is there on their part. BTW, the sales people did not pester me at all and were very knowledgeable and kind.

Right now, I'm going with a black top on a clear mahogany back with pseudo-binding and chrome hardware!

~F
Ruining good moments since 1975.

Oh, the V3 is very Recto-like. I play a DC-10 head with a 1960 cab and I find it's gain structure alot smoother and "freer of fizz", if you will, but if you dig the Recto, you will no doubt dig the V3. The knobs and switches, by contrast do feel cheap by comparison and I do not like the 3 toggles to switch b/t channels. But! Tonewise, it's a good way to get the Boogie-ESQUE tone on the cheap.

:D

I've had a DC127T for almost 10 years. It has been, hands down, THE best guitar I have ever played. Everything about the Carvins are first class. The only thing I had to replace were worn out frets. The action, neck, playability, craftmanship is worthy of a guitar that can easily command twice the price. I payed $800 with all the fixin' plus the case.
AWESOME.

I've had a DC127T also for about 8-9 yrs and Ive yet to play a guitar that felt better in my hands. I was considering a pickup swap until I got my F-50. All is well for me now.

It is tough to find a guitar hanging on the walls of a music store that are as flawless as Carvin's stuff.

I've got three and one on the way. The best kept secret in guitars. I think the Carvin C22 pups are great too. I also have a new Carvin V3 head. Mark IV versatility, great cleans, can get Recto heavy. You need to hear them.

Dave

Hello everyone. This is my first post here. Merry Christmas! :)

My first Carvin was one of their X amps, bought in 1983 and I still have it. Then a few years later, around '86 or '87, I got one of the SH225S semi-hollow body guitars. That axe sings like no other I own. I didn't make another purchase until 2000 when I got a koa DC135 with a Floyd Rose. It's definitely a shred guitar that makes even a non-shred guitarist like me sound good. Since then I've found a few great deals on Carvin guitars and basses at eBay. I'd highly recommend Carvin products and would love to get a CT6 someday. Maybe Santa will take pity and leave one under my tree.

does anyone else notice that alot of people get a carvin and then end up selling it after a short time (many less than a year later) after they got it. even though they rave about it when they get it? :roll: maybe you carvin guys can shed some light on that.

Haha, how many LPs do you see on ebay?

Seriously, musicians in general pawn, trade, and buy more gear than any other hobbyists out there. To say that Carvin owners typically sell their gear soon after purchase is a pretty bad mischaracterization!

dylan7620 said:
does anyone else notice that alot of people get a carvin and then end up selling it after a short time (many less than a year later) after they got it. even though they rave about it when they get it? :roll: maybe you carvin guys can shed some light on that.

What on Earth are you talking about??? And were do you get these ideas??? :? :?:

I still own all of mine. :lol: I traded away a Gibson EB0 a couple of Strats and an ES175. Kicked myself hard each time and regret every trade. I don't trade or sell guitars anymore, it hurts too much. :oops:

Purchased new in 1987:
SH225S-a.jpg

Purchased new in April 2000:
DC135CKoa.jpg

Purchased used in 2004:
DC150.jpg

Purchased used in 2004:
v220.jpg

Purchased new in March 2005:
Dsc00596.jpg

dylan7620 said:

I agree, I've got a bunch of Carvin junk I'd like to unload but resale value for Carvin is so low it's not worth selling. I also know several other players who have owned Carvin gear and have sworn to never make that mistake again. I really don't understand all this adulation I'm reading here for Carvin. This is the kind of propaganda I would expect to read on their heavily censored forum. I bought Carvin because I thought I was getting a hell of a deal when in fact I was simply getting taken. Off the top of my head I can think of four guitars, an amphead, a rack preamp, an efx processor, and a pair of their largest PA speakers (1588's), that I've WASTED my money on. I'm sure there's more but that's what comes to mind at the moment. Every single piece has failed one way or another with several having multiple failings. I can list (if anyone needs to know) all the failings that have led me despise Carvin and ALL their products. IT'S JUNK!

t0aj15 said:
Every single piece has failed one way or another with several having multiple failings. I can list (if anyone needs to know) all the failings that have led me despise Carvin and ALL their products. IT'S JUNK!

Everyone's allowed their opinions. I will say that no Carvin product I've owned has ever let me down. I've a 23 year old X amp that hasn't cost me more than a few sets of tubes. In 35 years of playing, only my Carvin and Fender amps have lasted. All the others broke down, some at the worst time, in the middle of a set. As for guitars, I have about 40 others by Danelectro, Epiphone, Fender, Gibson, Ibanez, Rickenbacker and Martin. Every one I own is a classic to me, no matter how old it really is. I'm sorry you had bad experiences. I've been there too and understand it is frustrating as hell. Merry Christmas and may Santa leave you some musical toys under the tree. 8)

t0aj15 said:
This is the kind of propaganda I would expect to read on their heavily censored forum. I bought Carvin because I thought I was getting a hell of a deal when in fact I was simply getting taken. Off the top of my head I can think of four guitars, an amphead, a rack preamp, an efx processor, and a pair of their largest PA speakers (1588's), that I've WASTED my money on. I'm sure there's more but that's what comes to mind at the moment. Every single piece has failed one way or another with several having multiple failings. I can list (if anyone needs to know) all the failings that have led me despise Carvin and ALL their products. IT'S JUNK!

Why on earth did you keep on buying after you discovered you were being "taken"?

It's hardly propaganda; I've always been leary of Carvin gear and I was so taken by this new guitar that I felt compelled to talk about it. In fact, I haven't been excited about any guitar in a very long time.

I am sorry to hear about your negative experiences. I knoew how disappointing it can be.

fdesalvo said:
Why on earth did you keep on buying after you discovered you were being "taken"?
Unfortunately most of it was puchased in a rather short span of time. Had I given it more thought I should have spred my purchaces out over time, thus giving myself more time to evaluate each unit. In all fairness I should say I do like the two ash bodied kit guitars that I finished and assembled, their keepers. The rest as far as I'm concerned is a pile of firewood, doorstops, and boat anchors.

fdesalvo said:
Hopefully you've found the guitar that's right for you.
Well anyone who's played as long as I have knows that's a never ending quest, but yes I have several that make me very happy, and none of them say Carvin on the headstock. 8)

Latest posts

Back