Played Carvin CT-4

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, I've never had a problem with Carvin's equipment that's made here but when they attempt to go overseas (as in their crappy effects pedals that were a flop, etc) they seem to have problems. They should stick to being a quality American company. The new SH-575 can be optioned out to $2900 so a quality acoustic should be within the realm of their price range.

We all probably will have gotten a bad apple or two from the whole range of manufacturers, if we get enough stuff (as if we ever could get enough!). I had a terrible example of a classic Gibson 175D; I had a wonderful example of a Ventures model Mosrite. Unfortunately, I traded the latter for the former many years ago, looking to upgrade, and to play more jazz. :cry: Do we ever forget our first good guitar?

There's certainly some truth to Carvin guitars not holding resale value, but another view might be that they have realistic value. Maybe their lack of sponsored players helps keep the price down? In any case, I lucked out with a great used guitar, that I was about ready to order new. I spent what I saved on an extension cabinet for the F-30 and another Analogman pedal, so what did I save? :lol:

Anyway, the tone of the DC400 really comes through on channel two and even cuts through the contour settings in ways that my strat does not, and I am crazy about the strat... Carvin's modest AG100D amp serves me better as an acoustic/combo amp than a couple of tries at similar Marshall and Peavey solid state models (but that's just convenience and a particular, or is it peculiar, taste for a certain clean sound).

However, the DC 400 into the F-30 is something special. The hot bridge pickup (M22SD) and active electronics drive both channels into incredibly sweet blues and rock tones and, combined with contour, it cuts through a band mix for lead like a laser. Just as the F-30 cleans up beautifully for chimey tones and jazz, so does the Carvin, with coil splitting options and tons of tonal options. The combination is keeping all of my other guitars on the rack. Does it mean all Carvins are great? No, but this combination would keep a lot of players awfully happy.

Tone tweaking on both of these is pretty amazing, though. Every setting on the guitar and amp interacts more sensitively than anything I've played before. It's going to take some discipline to stop tweaking.

Looks are in the eye of the beholder; the finish is very good and everything works. Click for larger pictures.

th_CarvinDC400Mfront.jpg

th_CarvinDC400Mclosefrontbody.jpg

Anyway, my two cents. I know, too long for a first post on the board, but I've been lurking a long time, and this topic got me going.

I have absolutely no problem with Carvin's USA made equipment. My issue with them was the way they switched factories from South Korea to China and the fact that I waited a long, long time for a guitar that should have never made it past their quality control. I still own and like Carvin gear and always recommend their USA guitars. I've come close to ordering a C66 more than once.

I've purchased 2 guitars and 3 PAs from Carvin over the past 20 years. I have to say their price/value is among the best out there. Last year I purchased the CT4M. It showed up flawless, but I didn't like the flat neck so asked them to rebuild it with a 10 radius which they did no problem. It came back to me again flawless. Perfect construction, great action, seems like top of the line wood, tuners, bridge, etc.

To me it feels like a PRS had sex with a Gibson out of wedlock. Has a lot of what those guitars offer, some things better some worse. Overall it plays better than any Gibson I've tried. It's beefy, ballsy, very un-Fenderlike. The tones for distorted sounds I can't really imagine anything better. I prefer Fender for clean. But hey, for $1000 compared to $3000 on the PRS' I really like, this is an extremely great value. I can see why re-sale may be down because of the brand name, but if you're looking to play a guitar and not invest in one I'd recommend it.

I have a Cobalt C980. Far from being a piece of **** as others have described. I play out frequently and often have people asking me about it commenting on how great it sounds.
I agree that regardless of the name on the headstock you do get good and bad. I have played some Gibson Les Pauls that are not fit to bat stones with in the garden and some that are great.
Personaly I treat every guitar on a one off basis, how it plays, feels, responds is more important to me than re-sale value or the name on the head stock...personaly I could care less who makes an instrument as long as it does what I want, how I want it.

When'd you buy your Cobalt? If it was before October of last year it's a truly different guitar than what they're selling now. With the exception of Eastman I will never buy a Chinese guitar again. I wouldn't have bought the one I did buy in the first place if I knew where it would ultimately be coming from. By the way, you can buy the exact same guitar with Cort on the headstock, albeit with different inlays and electronics for $300 less.

http://www.cort.co.kr/english/products/acoustics/view.asp?product_id=24

http://www.guitarshop.net/cortCJ10X.htm

It's a not so well-known secret that Carvin Cobalts are re-branded Corts.

I've had my Cobalt around 4 yearsI'd say. It has kept it's set up and sounds great live and when recorded... no regrets atall from me, blows away my friends Martin (seriously).

Yeah, it was reviews like yours that made me buy my Cobalt. Like I said yours is a different guitar entirely than what's being sold today. Different factory. Different country. You're lucky you got yours when you did.

I have to be honest and say I was slightly wary when I ordered the Carvin, not knowing what to expect. I figured if it was crap I'd send it back and get a refund. It turned out to be a great move for me.
I personally would have no hesitation in ordering another one, you have a money back refund if it's not to your taste so where's the harm ?

Latest posts

Back