Peavey Wolfgang

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dufe36

Reaction score
I just wanted to share my opinion on those Peavey Wolfgang guitars as I got one used about 6 months ago.

First, they are very underrated guitars, I mean they are easy to play and they sound real good for the money spent. Mine is made from basswood, came with stock pickups, stoptail bridge. When I first though about getting one, it was because I never played one before and I thought they looked kinda neat. I was very skeptical about the quality of those instruments: the wood used, the pups, hardware, etc. I owned about every guitar that's on the market but for the last 4 years, I play only Les Paul. I was kinda looking for a cheaper backup guitar so I gave the Wolfie a try, hoping to sell it with a little profit in case I didn't like it. Of course it doesn't sound like a LP, but it's one hell of a backup instrument. Factory pups do the job for me and as for the finish, I can't find anything wrong with it. I'm seriously thinking about getting another one, maybe one with the D-Tuna. If anyone's interested, I'd trade a Schecter BlackJack 7 strings for a Wolfie. I think every guitar player should consider having one in its arsenal. I've been in this music business for a little more than 20 yrs now, played with Marshalls and Mesas, my main setup is 2:90 with Triaxis. I get great tones with both my LP and the Wolfie.

Rock'n'roll

I couldn't agree more

this is an amazing guitar (depending on the model)
I bought a 96-97 Black Standard archtop earlier this year and although my 89 RG550 is my main axe, I will never part ways with it. I'm not so sure that the wolfgang pup's are considered a stock pickup by any means, they are hotter and more agressive than my DiMarzios. Hardware and build quality are absolutely top notch and although the neck is quite a contrast from the Wizard Necks I've grown acustom to, I think this is one oustanding axe for playability. I feel like a king everytime I strap one on, I command this motherf....ok you get the point. Music man Axis is also on my list of things to add to my collection

I'm tellin'ya man, the Wolfie is one great axe. Never liked those Ibanez, neck is way too thin for my taste, those guitars are fine but to my personnal taste, I can't play with Ibanez. Did you get the one with the d-tuna? I heard that sustain wasn't the same with it, I guess it's the same with all tremolo equipped guitars, they lack a bit of sustain. I'm enjoying mine so much that I'm willing to trade my '97 US Strat and the Schecter 7 string for another Wolfie. If anyone out there is interested, let me know.

Back