On-Board or External Reverb?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDGuitaristT

Reaction score
I'm going to have to replace my reverb tank and I was just wondering if you think its worth the $$....or should buy an external pedal, such as the EH Holy Grail. I do like reverb, so please pick one.

The amplifier is a IIC+ and as far as I know the tank was stock ('84).

I have reverb on my Mark II, I keep it set at like 1 or something, but then I use two old Alesis microverbs (1/3 rack space model) in the fx loop, each one is footswitch bypassable.

It gives an excellent reverb selection to the amp.

Reverb tanks are cheap so I would replace it in any case. I used a longer 3 (6) spring unit and think it sounds a little lusher on my MKIIC+.

I still use an outboard rack piece for delay with my high gain sound where I don't want any reverb. I built a special foot switch that turns off the reverb when the distortion is active and of course turns the reverb on when the clean channel is active. I like this set up a lot.

I use a EH holy grail in my FX loop on my mark iv. The onboard reverb just doesn't do it for me. I wanted much more of a "fender amp" reverb, and the onboard just wasn't lush enough. I'm happy with the EH.

I use a Peavey Valverb through the effects loop of my MkIII. I far prefer it to any pedal. They are no longer made, but can be had on Ebay.

I prefer delay.....but I tend to use alot of gain.

Having built in reverb is nice though, as I can take the amp by itself and leave the pedals at home. If you can afford to do both, I'd go for that option.

I prefer a nice digital reverb/delay in the loop. They're not as springy sounding.

Latest posts

Back