Ok ...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kiff

Reaction score
what type of speakers? where exactly are you putting the tape? what kind of tape? pics and/or audio clips? :)

I KNOW !!!!!

Every Cab i own has a nice neat cross of GAFF over the grill were the dust cap is...

What it does--

1, cancels phase anomaly's produced by the dust cap and defuses them in a wider range.
2, makes your cab sound bigger and less beam based..

3, cutts out the top end ice tone's..These are the phase anomaly's.

SO SO GOOD..

Shep said:
...has a nice neat cross of GAFF over the grill were the dust cap is....
so... it's not actually ON the speaker cone itself, but on the grill in front of the cone?

Loved my beam blocker when I needed it. I had it on an Altec 4178C with a metal dustcap. Works with an EV too but once the EV gets worn in they don't need it.

Someone on the board put an Ebay link up a few weeks ago for a Fizzy Lifter.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Fizzy-Lifter-Blockers-for-that-Ice-Pick-Treble-Beam_W0QQitemZ260248785601QQihZ016QQcategoryZ121165QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Much the same as a beam blocker but instead of screwing it on it just sticks to the grill cloth and they are only $11 each.I have been meaning to order one myself and try it out.

Try this:
http://www.speakerworks.com/Speaker_Dust_Caps_p/dc.htm

Tape it (I used black thread ...quick sew just to "tack" it on) on the inside of the grill cloth over the center of the speaker's dust cap. It works just like the Weber BeamBlocker ...diffuses the sound, especially highs, so it is not so focused like a light beam. I did this on my Thiele cab and indeed, there is no tonal change, but definitely more diffused overall. Simple and it works. I'm not certain it is so necessary on an open-backed cab, but every speaker/cab combo has its own characteristics. Not to mention cheaper than the Beam Blocker ...though kudos to Ted for coming up with this splendid idea!! :)

Edward

miqueas92 said:
So, I had read that putting a little tape in the middle of my speaker cone would help cut some of the high´s, and... it worked :D

My MKIV has never sounded better.

Mick

wow... this is a god **** good idea... does it work on 4x12 ? do i have to puti it in front of each speaker ?

i'll try it next w-e ! :D

miqueas92 said:
So, I had read that putting a little tape in the middle of my speaker cone would help cut some of the high´s, and... it worked :D

Mick

wow... this is a god **** good idea... does it work on 4x12 ? do i have to puti it in front of each speaker ?

meursault said:
miqueas92 said:

Mick

yep all 4 speakers, try to make each blocker with about a 4 inch diameter, if you want and plan on using tape you can experiment on the outside of the speaker grill, kind of get to were you want then move to the inside of the speaker grill.

I have Weber Beam Blockers but all of the above will work just as well.

It's really easy and cheap to make a beam blocker, this is what I did. I went to Home Depot and got some aluminum stock. I cut it to size to fit across my speaker mounts, painted it black, I glued a 4 inch dust cap on the center and mounted it. Instant beam blocker. You can't even see it under the grill cloth and it works great. I use it on my MKIV combo with the C90 and use nothing on my theile with an EVM12. I have a sweet killer sound.

miqueas92 said:
GIG4FUN said:
you guys are all nuts. Every single one of you :lol:

Maybe but...

My combo sounds better than ever

Mick

I can't hear a thing because you have all that tape on it!

I had a few minutes to hit the forum and jsut had to come into this thread and harrass you fella's. I mean nothing personal and surely nothing educated. Enjoy yourself better than ever all you want. :)

GIG4FUN said:
miqueas92 said:
GIG4FUN said:
you guys are all nuts. Every single one of you :lol:

Maybe but...

Mick

I had a few minutes to hit the forum and jsut had to come into this thread and harrass you fella's. I mean nothing personal and surely nothing educated. Enjoy yourself better than ever all you want. :)
Oh well you're a nut too

badguitarist said:
GIG4FUN said:
miqueas92 said:
Maybe but...

Mick

Oh well you're a nut too

yes... :D

maybe i'm nut but the sounds is ok when i'm stand near my amp but when i'm a little bit far or when i put my head on the same line than my speaker there's too high frequencies...

don't know if i'm clear :?

oh... i have a straight cab

Listen to the front line. Move your head and body around and walk about etc. There's a few sweet spots but it should be dispersed good if you have a good soundman. Distance is another thing. We do "satalite" when it's BIG :)
In my view: set mic placement and backline volume on your rig and play. If someone is "sitting" too close and has a pieced ear get a decent song out and they will get off their butt and dance or something.
I would consider the use of blockers in a studio setting only. I'm stubborn I guess.

meursault said:
maybe i'm nut but the sounds is ok when i'm stand near my amp but when i'm a little bit far or when i put my head on the same line than my speaker there's too high frequencies...

don't know if i'm clear :?

oh... i have a straight cab

No your not a nut! And some speakers are more prone to do it more than others. That is the point of the Beam Blockers, duct tape or whatever you feel like using.

Don't want to change the sound of the speaker per say, I just want to address that space in front of the amp were you are getting the ice pick effect (high frequencies).

The sound is more consistent with Beam Blockers weather I'm in front of the cabinet or standing off to the side. Normally I mic the kind of between the center of the speaker and the speakers edge so the mic does not know the difference weather the Beam Blockers are in and or out

GIG4FUN said:
I would consider the use of blockers in a studio setting only. I'm stubborn I guess.

on studio you can put the mic where you want... you can set your amp in another way...

but in live condition, playing in direct, without mic, in bar or little venue, the "sound" dispertion can be... not good...

on rehearsal this is disturbing too... the drummer (sit down) sometimes tells me my sound have too much highs !... but to me it's ok... :?

Latest posts

Back