Noisy pots in MkIIC+

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dasein

Reaction score
Is there an easy way for a non-amp tech guy to address noisy pots? What if anything should I use to clean them, and how do I do it? Will it involve taking the amp out of it's cab?

You can also use the DeOxit on the preamp tube sockets and tube pins if you're giving the amp a good one over. Good clean contacts are a requirement for your best operation. Even Radio Smack carries spray cans of contact cleaner which will work in a pinch if that's all you can get.

However, do NOT use either of these on the power tube contacts. Those require the Pro-Gold or whatever it's called (if I wasn't so lazy I'd walk to the bench and check it out) due to the high voltage, but that is also a very good idea on older amps that could use a good cleaning...

While you are at it you may as well clean the jacks. I use a piece of 600 grit sand paper rolled up for all 1/4" jacks. Twist and turn it until the jack is nice and shiny. Makes for a good ground. I use the 600 grit for the ground part of the RCA jacks and shoot Deoxit into the positive terminal part. Have fun!

Latest posts

Back